Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #1 
bettalover2000

Questions, Questions!

Hi! Before I breed for the first time, I have a few questions.

1: I would like to breed in a bin/tub. How large should the breeding or grow out tub be?

2: As for jars, the boys will hopefully be in brand-new plastic cups with lids.
Can I use/ How would I clean old jelly/applesauce jars as another container for males?

3: Can someone tell me what age fry get which foods?I know that up to two weeks can be infusoria, then how long for M larva?

I will start the fry on infusoria and maybe Hikari first bites, then move on to mosquito larva, then eventually flakes and pellets.

I might have a spawn thread...
I have done my research, and continue to do so!

Thank You!!!!
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #2 
GunsABlazin

1. A 10-15 gallon works really well.

2. I use old canning jars for my fish during water changes. Rinse them really well, peel lables off and just run them through the dish washer.

3.for foods ( i may be wrong) BBs can be fed from free swiming to 2 months, BW, WW, MW and Grendal worms can be fed after 1 month. Im not sure for the ML, probly not untill they are a month or so.

Last edited by GunsABlazin; 07-21-2011 at 03:24 PM.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I wouldn't feed infusoria for 2 weeks.. not much nutrition there. Brineshrimp or some sort of micro worm would be a better option. Never fed mosquito larvae so I can't tell you what the schedule is like on that but I think that they're on the larger side so you can probably feed them for quite a while. I'm sure OFL will chime in on that.

For tank size it really all depends. A small spawn can be done in a 10 gallon but you have to be willing to keep the numbers way down. Preferably you'd spawn in about a 10 gallon and then move to a larger tank for grow out. Grow out tanks can be upwards of 55 gallons or more. My grow out tank is 29 gallons but I also have larger rubbermaid tubs that hold about 30 gallons as well.

For jars anything that is food safe and holds water will work.

To correct gunsablazin

Micro, Walter, and Banana Worms (MW,WW, BW) can be fed from free swimming up to 1 month.

Baby Brine Shrimp (BBS) can be fed from 2 weeks up to 2 months or longer, some brands of brine shrimp can be fed from free swimming.

Grindal worms can be fed from 1 month on.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Isn't infusoria mostly for supplementing the frys' diet rather than a main food source?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #5 
Punki

From what ive read the first few days at least infusoria can be the main source. After that its a nice snack between feedings, but i know some people use it for the whole first week if they have their tanks heavily planted.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #6 
bettalover2000

Alright! Thanks everyone, I might breed in a 5 gallon tub, then 15-25 maybe for growout. Would Hikari first bites along with infusoria be good for maybe the first week? I will have a few live plants, hopefully, maybe a cave, or tunnel. hopefully a sponge filter...I will culture infusoria, seems more fun. Like I said maybe a spawn thread. Thanks again! I thought that in the fry foods and feeding thread, it said that infusoria could be fed for the first 2 weeks......
Old 07-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #7 
Punki

I think they are small enough to see it/pick at it for the first couple of weeks but after the first week especially they will need other things as well. Hikari first bites, i planned to pick some up but ive read in a couple of places about it being too big for betta fry for the first couple of weeks, i need to get some for the future though.
For me, ive been letting them feed off infusoria through this first week along with doing the egg yolk as food, and just being really careful to vac up any leftover egg yolk 2 hours after each feed. I planned bbs but they ended up being a bit too large for week 1, but now they will work :)
Old 07-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #8 
bettalover2000

OK. Thank You all! I have been very informed. How would I go about feeding egg yolk?
Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #9 
Punki

I boil an egg, cut it open, take about a pellet sized piece of it, put it in a ziplock with a bit of tank water and moosh it all together awhile, it should make cloudy water, i keep it thin. Then i dip my finger in it, and then dip my finger into their tank where i see their groups. At first they didnt accept it so i took some infusora water and put that in at the same time. The mix of wigglers and egg made them all follow the leader and snack on it :))
Old 07-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Hikari first bites can be fed from free swimming however I should caution you that it will foul the water extremely fast. Basically what hikari first bites is is a mass produced egg yolk type food.

Infusoria is good for about the first week but after that you really need to look into bigger and more nutritious foods.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote