Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #1 
Kubie

something isnt right.

Hi guys i dont know if you remember me but im the guy who bought that mini bowl with the filter that was too strong. anyway two weeks ago i upgraded my tank to a 5 gallon tank and just yesterday my quiet flow 10 and 50 watt aquarium heater came in from the mail. and before you ask yes i was doing what i could before to keep the water warm and changing out fractions of the water every few days.

my question is that the heater and filter have been on for almost 24 hours now. they are sitting right next to each other on the smaller of the tank walls. now the filter works great Ive seen much improvement already but the heater only seems to heat half of the tank and my Betta Soichiro's hangout and hiding place has always been on the opposite side. and that side is still colder and of course every thermometer i own is currently broken so i cant check the temp but Soichiro is still just chilling at the bottom of the tank and not really wanting to do much.

any ideas to solve this matter?
Kubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #2 
kelly528

Sounds like the filter current may be too gentle this time... your problem is that water is not flowing evenly around the tank. Turn the filter up just a notch and see if that helps even out the temperature.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #3 
Malvolti

I'm going to assume the 5gal is rectangular since you say the hater and filter are on the smaller wall. Try moving the heater to the middle of the back (larger wall) of the tank. It should allow the heater to more evenly heat all ends of the tank.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #4 
danifacetastic

Thats weird. I have a 10 gal with a baffle on my filter and only a 25 watt heater and it keeps my tank warm.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #5 
Kubie

alright well i just got off of work and tested the water with my finger and all corners of the tank are the same temperature. so maybe it just takes longer than24 hours when its right next to the filter haha. and i didnt know you could adjust the flow of the filter so how exactly do you do that? because i feel like the current is too strong and is pushing my fish the the other side of the tank. but im not sure haha im a proby at this and coming to you guys for aid
Kubie is offline   Reply With Quote