Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #1 
DazzleKitty

Question about larger filtered tanks

Okay, so right now I have a 2.5 gallon unfiltered tank and a 1.75 gallon bowl. I have two bettas.

I am wanting to create less work and less stress on the tank in the long run. So after Christmas I am going to treat myself to a 5 or 10 gallon tank with a separator for both of my bettas.

If you have a filtered tank, how often must you do water changes? Does the filter take care of a lot of the dirty work? Will less maintenance be needed on the tank?

I love working on my tank but I just have so much overtime and it's hard to squeeze in those biweekly water changes. And a tank with a filter and light seems so much more appealing.

With the 5 or 10 gallon tank, would it be safe to put a sucker fish with them? I heard it can be bad for the bettas fins.

I am looking for the best setup with the least work. I know it sounds lazy, but I guess it is. :P I still do everything I need, but I want something more efficient. Anyone recommend a tank that goes good with a betta divider?
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If you are wanting less work I would get a 10g and filter and divide that one and once the nitrogen cycle has completed you would only need to make one weekly 50% water change with substrate vacuuming and a couple of times a month swish/rinse the filter media in old tank water with a water change...

Since it will be divided I would not add any other fish, maybe shrimp or snails.......and live plants are always nice......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #3 
aleXander

A 10 gallon with a divider would be perfect. I change half of my tanks water once a month (2-10g 1-20g 1-40g) it takes me maybe 30mins to do all 4. The bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain. My 40gallon stays way cleaner than my 2 10gallons, and it has 15 plakats and 20 ghost shrimp.
aleXander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #4 
aleXander

[/quote][quote=Oldfishlady;521385you would only need to make one weekly 50% water change [/QUOTE]

5 gallons a week for 2 fish seems alittle extreme.

My 2 10g's havent been changed in 3 weeks and they have 5 plakats per tank and still look good.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

It is all in what you want-if you want to provide proper care and prevent problems then you make the needed water changes...clear/clean looking water does not mean good/safe water...filtration does not change the need for water changes....a lot more goes on in a tank of water than just ammonia, nitrite, nitrate you also have DOC's, hormone/pheromone among other things that can only be removed with water changes in closed systems unless you have lots and lots of live active growing plants and then you still have limits in a closed system....just because you can doesn't mean it is best for the livestock in your care
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #6 
Jayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXander View Post
A 10 gallon with a divider would be perfect. I change half of my tanks water once a month (2-10g 1-20g 1-40g) it takes me maybe 30mins to do all 4. The bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain. My 40gallon stays way cleaner than my 2 10gallons, and it has 15 plakats and 20 ghost shrimp.
Once a MONTH does not seem like enough and I completely agree with OFL. Are you tanks divided or are they all females?? Because 15 PKs in a 40gal and 5 bettas per tank.

Last edited by Jayy; 11-27-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #7 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
It is all in what you want-if you want to provide proper care and prevent problems then you make the needed water changes...clear/clean looking water does not mean good/safe water...filtration does not change the need for water changes....a lot more goes on in a tank of water than just ammonia, nitrite, nitrate you also have DOC's, hormone/pheromone among other things that can only be removed with water changes in closed systems unless you have lots and lots of live active growing plants and then you still have limits in a closed system....just because you can doesn't mean it is best for the livestock in your care
Amen to that! Water can look 'good', fish can look 'healthy', but in the end the only thing that tells you anything is the results you get from a good water test kit.

In answer to the original question, it isn't so much the addition of a filter as it is the tank size that will lessen the maintenance. Basically the more gallons you have per inch of fish, the more dilute their waste is and the longer it takes for the concentration of waste in the water to reach serious levels.

If you do decide to filter it, remember a filter can only reduce the frequency of cleaning IF you cycle the tank. That way you essentially have bacteria eating up the waste for you.

As far as frequency/volume of cleanings, I have to stick with OldFishLady... as a general rule fishtanks need a weekly cleaning of about 25-50%, unless you are en experienced fishkeeper and know what you are doing. Personally I don't see the need to change more than 25% of the water weekly, but 50% should be fine too as long as you are properly matching up the pH, temperature and hardness of the old and new water.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #8 
aleXander

Once a week is way to much for a 10 gallon tank. It doesn't matter if its bettas, guppies, gold fish or chiclids. Go to your precious PetsMart and ask the "Professional" what they think.

And she said she wants less work not more work.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #9 
MoePaac

Well there's your first mistake, taking Petsmart's word as golden.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #10 
aleXander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
Once a MONTH does not seem like enough and conpletely agree with OFL. Are you tanks divided or are they all females?? Because 15 PKs in a 40gal and 5 bettas per tank.
My 40 gallon has 15 pk's in custom condos, I let one out per day and rotate them.

My 20 gallon has 10 pk females

My 2 10 gallons have 5 pk's per tank in condos