Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #11 
Jayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXander View Post
Once a week is way to much for a 10 gallon tank. It doesn't matter if its bettas, guppies, gold fish or chiclids. Go to your precious PetsMart and ask the "Professional" what they think.

And she said she wants less work not more work.
Half those socalled "Professionals" DON'T know a thing about fish and REALLY don't have a clue about betta care. On the other hand OFL has been breeding and keeping bettas for YEARS. Unlike the empolyees who are only there because they filled out some piece of paper to get a job. What do you mean by condos???

Last edited by Jayy; 11-27-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #12 
aleXander

I was being sarcastic about PetsMart (i hate them)

I made 15 acrylic intank keepers. Little boxes with holes in them that suction to the glass.
aleXander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #13 
Jayy

You really shouldn't use sarcasm on here. Because you can't tell the differece when someones typing. So it sounds like you mean it.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #14 
CrankyFish84

I have a split 10G for two male bettas...I was testing the water every other day for ammonia,
and found it at .25 after only 2 days.

I thought it was cycled when I put them in, but I must have messed up the nitrate test. :/
Ammonia also depends on the temp (higher = faster metabolism & more waste, correct me if I'm wrong) too...and of course live plants will help. I do notice a difference with them in.

On my 10G (which is truely cycled) w/ one male & one live medium size wendt, ammonia starts to show after a week.
I do 25% weekly changes on that one, and a full decoration/heater scrub down in RO water
every other week, and filter media gets swished in old tank water once a month.
If you know someone with a cycled tank & healthy fish, ask to take a bit of their filter and/or gravel,
it will help "seed" your tank for bacteria.

It's kinda fun to see how water is changed by different factors. :)

Good luck!

Last edited by CrankyFish84; 11-27-2010 at 06:04 PM.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #15 
JKfish

Alexander, when she says less work, I'm almost postive she means less work, but still enough to keep her fish happy, healthy without risking their lives. I won't go on a long rant rave about what you need to do to keep your fish happy. There is rarely anything that qualifies as too much when it comes to water changes. Good info on that has been supplied in the previous posts (especially OFL's post), so follow it if you want, if you don't, it's only your fishs' health that's on the line... *rolls eyes*

Dazzle, In a ten gallon, you'll want to cycle first so you have good bacteria to convert ammonia to a less lethal chemical (nitrAte) so after that you only have to do a 50% water change weekly with gravel vacs. cycling is easy, honestly it's just adding a source of ammonia (like a piece of shrimp or two), letting the tank run for a while, testing, and when it's done with ammonia 0, nitrItes 0 nitrAtes- 5 or more, you do a water change and add fish :D.

Last edited by JKfish; 11-27-2010 at 06:08 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #16 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXander View Post
Once a week is way to much for a 10 gallon tank. It doesn't matter if its bettas, guppies, gold fish or chiclids. Go to your precious PetsMart and ask the "Professional" what they think.

And she said she wants less work not more work.

You're losing credibility at a pretty good clip there, buddy. For one, as a general rule nobody keeps goldfish [plural] in a 10g. If you can show me a full stocked tank that hasn't been cleaned for a month and has no ammonia or nitrite, give me your full name and I'll nominate you for a Nobel Prize. I'm sure Sea World would be pretty interested to see how you work it.

Of course there is a way to make that happen but it involved heavy planting, which we are assuming a novice fishkeeper is not yet prepared to undertake.

And 'less work' should never come at the expense of the fish's health. As it is, I consider a 25% weekly water change to be 'less work' as it is; it took me under an hour every week to do 25% changes in all my tanks when I had 6 of them running.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #17 
CrankyFish84

Another kinda time saving idea....Have a locking wheeled bucket (with a cover to prevent dust/hair getting in), and fill it with enough tap water you'll need for your weekly changes, then add the conditioner, and ta da you have a ready source. :) There is tubing you can buy at hardware stores
that fit the faucet to run it in the bucket. Then use the gravel vac to add conditioned water via it's tube.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #18 
aleXander

I love all the attention
aleXander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:41 AM   #19 
DazzleKitty

Wow, I didn't know I'd open up a can of worms with this, guys. Sorry about that. :/

And I apologize for the delay in my response. Been really busy the last several days.

My brother told me he's thinking about getting me a filtered tank for Christmas, which is great. :) Even if he doesn't, I'm going to get one myself when the holidays are over.

I am bookmarking this thread as a reference for when I do get it so I can prep it. Thank you all for the helpful responses. I love how helpful people at this forum are.
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:23 AM   #20 
Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
You're losing credibility at a pretty good clip there, buddy. For one, as a general rule nobody keeps goldfish [plural] in a 10g. If you can show me a full stocked tank that hasn't been cleaned for a month and has no ammonia or nitrite, give me your full name and I'll nominate you for a Nobel Prize. I'm sure Sea World would be pretty interested to see how you work it.
I do 50% once a month on my 55g. I wouldn't say ammonia and nitrite is zero, but it's never been an issue.
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote