Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #21 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
I do 50% once a month on my 55g. I wouldn't say ammonia and nitrite is zero, but it's never been an issue.
Once a MONTH????? WOW - I have a 38 gal. community tank, a 50 gal. & 75 gal. cichlid tanks that I do water changes on once a WEEK!!!!

I just can't IMAGINE letting them go for a MONTH!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #22 
danifacetastic

Right now I have a 10 gallon tank divided three ways. I plan on getting ghost shrimp sometime soon to help with mantinence but it's SO much easier then the 1 gallons I used to have the boys in. In the one gallons I'd have to take all the plants out, scoop out the betta, take the tank to the sink, dump the water and gravel into a strainer, fill the tank with water and dump until all the gravel was out, rinse the gravel, put it back in the tank, fill it back up with water, put the plants in, wait for the water to get to the right temp and then add the fish. Also there'd be unsightly bubbles for at least a day and I would get water everywhere.

Now all I have to do is a 50% water change once a week and run the gravel vacumn along the gravel to get out the debris. My suggestion though is not to buy an aquarium divider. Make one out of counted cross stich craft plastic. It's more durable and not nearly as see through. You can trim it to size too.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #23 
Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Once a MONTH????? WOW - I have a 38 gal. community tank, a 50 gal. & 75 gal. cichlid tanks that I do water changes on once a WEEK!!!!

I just can't IMAGINE letting them go for a MONTH!!!!
Every 3-4 weeks, depending. Been doing it that way for a few years, and always had healthy fish.
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #24 
Alex09

I do 50% changes once a week on my 10 gal. It has live plants, 2 platies, 3 cories, and one betta. You would be surprised at how much poo and filth I pull out on a weekly basis. I will show you a pic when I get the chance. How you guys do it once a month I dont know. I know that heavily planted walstad tanks can go up and over 6 months without water changes but they have low stocking levels and are crammed with plants...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote