Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #1 
ashleyy

Shrimpery with pH buffer, safe?

I got the San Francisco shrimp hatchery for a small batch of fry. Reading the directions it says to keep the pH at 8.0 so I got a pH raiser to add to the water.

Will these baby brine shrimp be safe for the fry to eat with the pH raiser added?
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What is your source water pH?

Also, regardless of the pH buffer in the BBS-you will not be adding any of the water from the hatchery to the fry tank anyway so it should not be a problem-you want to rinse the BBS really good before feeding them to the fry so that you can get as much of the salt off and any nasty stuff from the hatchery water.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

I don't use anything and I don't rinse them....BBS nets are worthless and filtering through coffee filters is just plain annoying.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I balance my brine shrimp net over a small container and use airline hose attached to chop sticks to make it stiff and siphon the BBS through the brine shrimp net-I pour the BBS water back into the BBS hatchery and rinse the BBS under running water and then fill the container I use to hold the brine shrimp net so that the BBS float in the net in the fresh clean water and use an eye dropper to remove the BBS and fresh clean dechlorinated water and feed to the fry......

Chlorinated water usually will not hurt the BBS but it can be harmful to the fry you are feeding
I use a drop or two of bleach in my BBS hatchery when I hatch them to help keep bad bacteria low and cause problems for the fry.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

Just wondering is there a significant difference in decap BBS eggs and the regular BBS eggs?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #6 
ashleyy

I confiscated about 15 zebra danio fry from my boyfriend lol. I can't wait for the BBS to hatch so I can feed them something better than first bites
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Just wondering is there a significant difference in decap BBS eggs and the regular BBS eggs?
Yes...no shells to mess with...you can decap them with regular bleach
Old 11-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #8 
MrVampire181

Oh that sounds awesome! I hate the shells floating in the tank. I'll try with decaping them next time.