Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #1 
JKfish

I think the employees at Petsmart are starting to hate me...

Lol, I'm pretty sure they're starting to recognize me too. Whever I come in, they (especially this one man) get a look on their faces (I'm not sure what to call it... it's sort of a mix of emotions) that they never did before I started opening my big mouth. I feel sort of sorry for them, because they really must not like a teen showing them when it comes to fish... and small animals... and then some, but there's only so much incorrect information I can take.

For example, two families were running around the fish section, looking at this and that, and they had a betta in hand.... I try not to butt into their business and between them and the employee who is talking to them... I do, honest, in fact for the most part I try to ignore them even though the employee is giving them a load of crappy info.

but then I overhear the man telling them about those plant tubes, and holding a semi-aquatic plant for them to see, and him saying "You'll need to buy plant food for this plant, but it'll grow very well." So, I open my mouth and say "It'll die, that's not a good idea." I point out some aquatic plants, and explain how the type he's holding would rot after a while. The man looks sort of guilty when the woman looks at him for assurance, and says something like "... yeah, it's only semi-aquatic..." When the employee starts to look rather annoyed, I shrug and say "Well, these plants *points to java fern and anubias* would do well with your betta, especially in the correctly sized heated tank..." and I leave to buy my stuff.

The funny thing is that typically I'm super shy, but once I interrupt and start talking, I'm not the least bit shy, I can look in strangers' faces and talk, and I can actually look at the employees and talk respectfully and calmly.

Anything like this happen to you guys?

Last edited by JKfish; 11-27-2010 at 04:44 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #2 
Jayy

I'm also shy and I don't go to the pet store enough for anyone to remember me that well. I try to speakup BEFORE the employee can get to them. Most of the time I'm to shy to say a thing.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #3 
weluvbettas

Yeah this happens to me all the time.
The pets at home staff roll there eyes at me now and have a real horrible tone. In the voive when I tell them something about fish like "by the way the bettas tail is all destroyed , you need to move it it out the neon tetras tank. Them: no , no they supposed to lay at the bottom and there tail is supposed to look like that" at this point I walk off.
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Yup this is EXACTLY how I am!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #5 
JKfish

Lol, I'm there frequently enough and I interrupt enough for them to notice me . I let the employees get to their customers, because I understand Petsmart is a business, and the employees have to sell to do well, so I let them talk... then I get miffed by the incorrect info and have to start talking

Weluvbettas: wow, talk about rude. The employees are actually polite enough to be quiet and to let me interrupt and tell the buyers good correct info before they get annoyed and start glaring daggers into my head.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #6 
shinybetta

Well, i'm sorta shy. I once told someone 1/2 gallon tanks aren't a good size, but they said OK and walked out with the 1/2 gallon tank. Once an employee told a customer aligator lizards can't live in captivity. Well, I had a couple back then (they are not dead, I released them) that I had for almost two years. I gave the guy PROPER care instructions, and he did what I told him.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #7 
CrankyFish84

Yes I'm like you guys...Shy about most stuff, but when I see or hear something so off base (to do with animals that is), I have to say something...respectfully of course....Most of the time a calm & friendly tone make people pay attention. :) I always try to gear toward the bigger tanks & mention how much more active and brighter they are with heaters,
and how water changes don't take up as much time as people assume.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #8 
Aluyasha

I am for the most part a shy person too, but some times I just have to speak up. Like I was at Wal-Mart the other day and two women were buying a 3 gallon tank with no filter or heater for 5 neons, 4 platies, 1 betta, and 1 tiger barb. Not only that but they were buying the tank at the same time as buying the fish and the employee helping them was telling them that all those fish were a perfect match for eachother and other outragous lies...of course I had to speak up then.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #9 
CrankyFish84

Aluyasha - Oh. My. Gawd. WOW ...I wonder how soon all those fish would have been killed
if they had brought them all home!!! *shudders* Glad you saved em from that bloodbath.

What goes on in some people's minds sometimes? How can they think cramming that many together
is humane? arrrrggghhhhhhhhhh

Logic train..crashing....!
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #10 
Aluyasha

I do not understand it either. It is like they are still getting their information from the pet care books of the 20s'. When people used to think all fish could live happily in a half gallon together.
Besides, from a financial standpoint if you are going to bother spending money on fish wouldnt you want them to live longer than a few days? Those woman probably had at least $100 worth of fish and fish stuff. Aside from the obvious moral injustice.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote