Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #1 
baylee767

Unhappy Poor Betta Fishies

I checked out a LPS for the first time. At first I thought that they were really knowlagable about fish and had no Bettas. This one lady actually tried to get a 4 inch long goldfish and put it in a half gallon bowl, but the lady that worked there told here that she couldn't buy a goldfish and put it in a bowl.

All of the fish I saw were in healthy condition, no dead or sick ones. Than I noticed Bettas. They were on a high shelf so I never noticed them b4. They were charging $4 for some very sad looking fishies. They just had the males cups and females cups mixed together. One male was laying on his side on the bottom of his cup with his gills barely moving, they all had extremely clouded water. One of the females had breeding stripes because she was surrounded by males. Most of the females were floating on the top of their cups and had faded colors. The males all had faded colors, too. Most of them looked like they could make it, but only if they were adopted soon, as in today. There were a few new ones, they had 3 beautiful pink/orange veiltails that were probably going to die one day, but because of their nice coloring maybe they'll be bought. some of the fish were very young, probably 2 months. Others looked older.

I wanted to say something or rescue a fish, but I mentioned it to my dad and he's just says "MMMhhhm." And ignores me just beecause I mention fish and he knows I want one. I can't really say anything because who takes a middle schooler seriously? And I'm kinda shy

Sidenote: I really wanted that female with the breeding stripes! She was very young (probably 1-2 inches in length) And it was obvious that if she was properly taken care of she would be a beautiful blue. IDK what, but something about her made me really want her. She didn't have any health issues yet except losing her color, so I'm guessing out of that batch of Bettas she was THE one for me. I wish I could have gotten her

Sidenote2: There weren't any dead Bettas, but I think this store cleans up thier dead fish.

Last edited by baylee767; 11-26-2010 at 10:53 PM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #2 
shinybetta

Aww, that's pretty bad My petco takes decent care of their fish. Clean water and out of the 60 fish, only 5-10 look bad.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:06 AM   #3 
Feral

It really is sad how how because of the myths as to how Bettas live and the fact that they're CHEAP their lives just don't seem to matter.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #4 
Jayy

I hate to see places like that and the employess could careless. My LFS does an good jod with their bettas, but Petco mistreats their VTs most of the time. I feel soo bad for bettas like that and wish that I could give an better home.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #5 
Aluyasha

The LFS around here is pretty bad with their bettas too. They live in shot glasses with thick green water. The ones that werent dead all had some advaned disease like fin rot or dropsy. It was so hard to leave them all there...
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #6 
baylee767

Remeber that female with the stripes?? I'm currently begging my dad to take me to the store to get her =D! They rarely sell their Bettas and when compared to the big bright males everyone will probably choose the males and the female will be mine >=D!!!!

I only have a half gallon bowl but it's way better than her little cup. She can go into my sorority eventually, but that's not going to finish until either January or February )= But this is one of the only places that sells females so yay!

I'm hoping I can go get her before she either:
A. Gets adopted
B. Dies

If I can go and she isn't there I'll choose another femle (there were 7 yesterday and most didn't have any sever problems)
Old 11-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #7 
Aluyasha

I hope you get her! Females are so entertaining
Old 11-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #8 
baylee767

Like usual my parents are in a "Oh no, shes trying to buy things, lets panic!" Mode. *sigh* I just don't understand the problem of buying a little $4 fishy...
Old 11-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #9 
Aluyasha

My husband does that to me sometimes too. I try to tell him that if I am taking care of it then it shouldnt be a problem. It is hard for some people to understand that those little cheap fish make us happy.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #10 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Oh I hope you gte to go save her, I know how bad pet stores can be with the bettas. I dont understand how they can be just forgotten and mistreated by epople trying to SELL them.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote