Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #1 
TRISHIESfishie

How hard are moss balls to care for?

What requirements do they have for a tank setup?
I have a 3 gal cylinder shaped tank, heater, filter and aeration (sp?). I have no live plants and 1 betta. There is natural light. I am not sure I would be able to do live plants and I was wondering how hard a moss ball is or a even a marimo ball (are they the same or different?)
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #2 
Jupiter

A marimo is pretty much impossible to kill. I just plopped mine in a tank that had indirect sunlight and turned it once a week so that brown patches wouldn't develop. Also, sometimes you'll want to take them out and squeeze them a bit, since they pick up a lot of debris.

But as for the 'fake' moss balls that are just moss wrapped around styrofoam or cork or something, I'm not sure how to take care of those.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #3 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
A marimo is pretty much impossible to kill. I just plopped mine in a tank that had indirect sunlight and turned it once a week so that brown patches wouldn't develop. Also, sometimes you'll want to take them out and squeeze them a bit, since they pick up a lot of debris.

But as for the 'fake' moss balls that are just moss wrapped around styrofoam or cork or something, I'm not sure how to take care of those.
OK so the moss balls are just fake marimo balls? LOL Thank you. I would have gotten a moss ball and thought it had bones because of the styrafoam LOL. I should be able to do a plant that is impossible to kill, thanks again!
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #4 
Rain Drop

I'm pretty sure that moss ball = marimo.
It's just that it's LOOKS like moss. Really, a moss ball or marimo is just a ball of algae. As for the ones we get they're probably not from Japan, but the same kind of phenomena occurs in parts of the UK. So just because it's not from Japan doesn't mean it's a "true marimo". I think people also grow them in their own homes to sell off.

For cleaning you should rinse the ball every 1-2 weeks. Just swish it around in a separate bowl of tank water and gently squeeze it out like a sponge. They just feed off of the Nitrites in your tank. You can give it plant food, but you really don't have to. Marimo also grow really slowly....so don't freak if you don't see it getting any bigger. You should also move it around every now and then too so that it keeps it's roundness. They do well in cold or warm water too.

As for this shizzle about what's probably java moss or maybe even non-aquatic moss wrapped around foam.....that's just cheap D< That's not a moss ball, that's a rip off!!
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #5 
folion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Drop View Post
They just feed off of the Nitrites in your tank.
Do they feed off nitrites or nitrates?
folion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #6 
Rain Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by folion View Post
Do they feed off nitrites or nitrates?
I believe it's Nitrites as well as other algae in your tank.
It should have some indirect light too for photosynthesis.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote