Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #11 
folion
New Member
 
folion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
PennPlax are pretty much the same as sponge filters. Noisy and only good as bio filters.
But you will get much more flow with a sponge filter than with a pennplax. i had a pennplax in a 2.5 gallon tank and they are soooo load lol
folion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #12 
anglnarnld
Member
 
anglnarnld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by folion View Post
But you will get much more flow with a sponge filter than with a pennplax. i had a pennplax in a 2.5 gallon tank and they are soooo load lol
So should I still use my filter that I have now with the sponge filter, my filter now only cleans a smingen.. So will it do me good by getting a sponge filter or no?? What do u suggest i do??
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #13 
anglnarnld
Member
 
anglnarnld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
Well I got one, heard wonderful things about this filter. Now Im just waiting to get a air pump and maybe a new adjustable heater!! Heres a pic of what I just got ;))
Attached Images
   
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Awesome choice.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #15 
anglnarnld
Member
 
anglnarnld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Awesome choice.....
Would you suggest the powerhead or airpump??
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #16 
folion
New Member
 
folion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglnarnld View Post
Would you suggest the powerhead or airpump??
you get good flow thruw the filter with just a air pump but a power head will diffidently boost the flow but keep in mind that some betta's don't like all the agitation that a power head makes. I don't use it on my betta tank but i do use one on my community tank. This is the one I use... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regent-Pow...-1-ct/10313131
Make shore that you filter is strait up and down not leaning. Also you never told me how big you tank is. If it is a ten gallon like my betta tank i use rocks to hide the sponges. Place in in the corner of your tank and get good flat rocks from you local pet shop and stack them around the filter. make shore you leave big enough gaps for water to flow threw to the filter.
If you decide not to use a power head, try to keep the top of the tube as close to the surface of the water as you can. this will do 2 things, 1 it cuts down on the noise, 2 it reduces surface agitation but keeps enough to help aerate the water for your bacteria.
hope this helps

Last edited by folion; 11-29-2010 at 11:48 PM.
folion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #17 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Sponge are good but I prefer the PennPlax Small World in my breeding tanks.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #18 
folion
New Member
 
folion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Sponge are good but I prefer the PennPlax Small World in my breeding tanks.
i had one as well but i just hated the noise.
folion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #19 
Lion Mom
Member
 
Lion Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N.E. Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Sponge are good but I prefer the PennPlax Small World in my breeding tanks.
I don't know what the heck is up with PennPlax filters, but I tried their Cascade Power Filter for a 10 gal. and YIKES that sucker was noisy!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #20 
anglnarnld
Member
 
anglnarnld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by folion View Post
you get good flow thruw the filter with just a air pump but a power head will diffidently boost the flow but keep in mind that some betta's don't like all the agitation that a power head makes. I don't use it on my betta tank but i do use one on my community tank. This is the one I use... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regent-Pow...-1-ct/10313131
Make shore that you filter is strait up and down not leaning. Also you never told me how big you tank is. If it is a ten gallon like my betta tank i use rocks to hide the sponges. Place in in the corner of your tank and get good flat rocks from you local pet shop and stack them around the filter. make shore you leave big enough gaps for water to flow threw to the filter.
If you decide not to use a power head, try to keep the top of the tube as close to the surface of the water as you can. this will do 2 things, 1 it cuts down on the noise, 2 it reduces surface agitation but keeps enough to help aerate the water for your bacteria.
hope this helps
Tysvm!!;))))
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Sponge Filters? TeenyTinyTofu Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 1 09-29-2010 04:03 PM
Sponge Filters s3kshun62 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 8 04-27-2010 08:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.