Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #1 
danifacetastic

New Divided Tank

So I set up my 10 gallon divided tank...all the fishies are in it and everyone seems well...even the new guy.

My question for divided tank owners....when you first got your divided tank did you worry about the slightest chance that the fish would some how get to another one?

When does this fear go away?

Like...you can't even see through my dividers ( but the water does flow through them) but for some reason I'm just freaking out and thinking one might escape.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #2 
bettafish15

The surefire way to make sure one doesnt get to the other side is to make sure the dividers go above the water surface, so nobody can jump over :) If they dont do that normally, then lower the water a bit. Thats just what I've heard, I dont have any divided tanks :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #3 
danifacetastic

Yeah I already did that. There's no way they're jumping over. I just somehow think that they'll get pass the milimeter of space between the divider and the tank wall.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #4 
bettafish15

Maybe some aquarium sponge cut into thin strips you can stuff in the cracks? :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #5 
danifacetastic

There's no way their head could even get through it. Barely their eyeball. So putting something there would make it worse haha.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #6 
Neelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifacetastic View Post
My question for divided tank owners....when you first got your divided tank did you worry about the slightest chance that the fish would some how get to another one?

When does this fear go away?
your dividers need to be about 2 inches above the surface so they cant jump over. just lower the water level so it has 2" or so from the top ridge.

fear goes away after a few days tbh... i got up at night to check on my fish first week. all was fine and i relaxed.

Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #7 
danifacetastic

I have a buffer on my filter where the water is split up into 2 directions and the one keeps getting in between the streams and sitting there. I moved it so the one stream goes in the middle divider and the one on the left is still underneath the streams but up against the divider to do that. Do you think there's ANY WAY he'd get through the crack? Someone said he'd probably die trying to get through if that ever happened. The crack is HARDLY there...like literally 1 or 2 millimeters. They're mouth won't even fit but I'm still paranoid.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #8 
Panthera

Well I have pretty much the same set up with just a SMALL little gap in between the sponges. Adamu stared at it for a minute, I knew what he was going to do, but decided to see what was going to happen. He tried getting in there for a second, got his head stuck, and then a second later got un-stuck, but lost a scale in the process.

Now he just stays away from the whole filter ;) Curiosity doesn't kill the betta.... Well not in this case. But I wouldn't worry if I were you, Adamu is a daredevil, different from all other Bettas.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #9 
SwimyRainbowFinn

I have 3 bettas in a 10 gallon and i could barely sleep for a week after i set it up, i kept assuring myself that the dividers are in tight and they cant dig under the gravel, they are perfectly fine. They probably kept wondering "Why is this lady always starin' at me? Im not doin' anything wrong." :P
SwimyRainbowFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #10 
danifacetastic

I'm the same way. I like get down to level and stare at all the dividers and I'm like "Oh God...my bettas are going to turn into jello and get through there."