Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #1 
JLovesBettas

Question Flitered water vs. Tap(and a couple random questions)

Hello, I have a charcoal filter that just gets rid of the chlorine in the water. My tap water is really disgusting and I hate putting it in my fishes tank. Would it be okay to use the filtered water? Here are my random questions....
  1. Can males have stress stripes?
  2. Whenever my Betta goes to sleep and wakes up his face is a pale blueish green. Is that normal?
  3. Can I get rid of the gravel in my tank? Its just annoying because it holds onto all the gross stuff in my tank.
  4. Have you ever had white stuff floating around your tank? When ever I move the gravel white specks that look like fish flakes only smaller and poo(no I don't feed him flakes) come up. Any ideas.
Whew! Sorry for the boatload of questions! I really am just full of questions. Thanks for the help!
-Jaryn
JLovesBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #2 
Rain Drop

I hear it's bad to use filtered water because it also removes minerals that are essential to fish.

1. Yes. I had a boy that got them.
2. I think so. One of my darker coloured boys gets that. I just assume it's kinda like when we wake up and are groggy and can't see too much.
3. Yes. It's not necessary to have substrate if your tank isn't planted.
4. No I've never had that and I'm not sure what it could be....

Oh, and welcome c:
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #3 
Malvolti

I'll try to answer what I can;

Filtered water: It depends on the filter really. If you google the brand and "how it works" you should be able to find out if it's ok. There are 3 main kinds of filters; Charcoal which should be fine, Reverse Osmosis should be ok, and Ion exchange which can actually make the water more toxic for a fish. Most brands like PUR and Brita use a mix of charcoal and Ion exchange so they aren't good. Either way you should still use a conditioner on the water (Most will recommend Prime by Seachem) since it removes other bad things aswell.

Questions;
1. Yes

2. I've never had one that does that but I don't know if it is normal or bad.

3. You can. What I do to get rid of the "gross stuff" is to use a gravel vacuum whenever I do water changes. It looks like a plastic tube attatched to a rubber hose and sucks the "gross stuff" out. The gravel can also be home to helpful bacteria so the vacuum pulls the bad stuff out and lets the good stuff stay.

On the other hand jagged gravel can be bad for betta fins or hold on to bad stuff that can be bad for the fish. Really it's up to you.

4. I don't know what the "white flakes" could be but again, a gravel vacuum would help with that.

Last edited by Malvolti; 11-28-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #4 
NikiandBeyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
What I do to get rid of the "gross stuff" is to use a gravel vacuum whenever I do water changes. It looks like a plastic tube attatched to a rubber hose and sucks the "gross stuff" out. The gravel can also be home to helpful bacteria so the vacuum pulls the bad stuff out and lets the good stuff stay.
I wondered if vacuuming removed the beneficial bacteria. When I posed this question to a pet store employ, he said to only vacuum two thirds of the gravel at a time, so not all the bacteria colonies are destroyed. If it doesn't in fact remove the bacteria, then just go ahead with all of it?
NikiandBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #5 
JLovesBettas

Thanks for the helpful comments! Buddy is having a tough time right now since for some reason every morning more of his tail is gone. I took everything out but he it still seems to erode. I don't think it is tail rot because it doesn't have the white stuff. The only thing I could think of is my heater. He likes to hang around it and swim on it. The water has a funny smell to it also. I do have a gravel vacuum and I do use Prime. One good thing is I think I finally got the cycle started! :) Would a picture help?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #6 
TaylorW

*bump*

Don't know how to help you, but hopefully someone else can!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #7 
JLovesBettas

Whenever I do a water change Buddy's stomach gets swollen. What could that be?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #8 
TaylorW

Swollen just from a water change? That's really odd, maybe he is sick with something? Especially if he's having fin issues as well...
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #9 
JLovesBettas

He is having fin issues too. I am not sure whats going on. It doesn't look like fin rot but I am not sure.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #10 
kfish

I have those white flakes, too. I just assumed they were sediment of some sort from the water settling. Kind of like what happens when you melt ice cubes made from hard water - at least, that's exactly what my flakes look like!

I just looked it up and here's what they are: "Melting ice cubes sometimes precipitate white flakes, commonly known as "floaties". This is calcium carbonate which is present in many water supplies and is completely harmless."

As for your fish's tail and bloating, I don't really know. He could always be biting his tail.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote