Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #1 
Tokoz

Help for eyes?

I have one of those extra large, plakat-type tail, "King" bettas from Petco. One of his eyes is scaled over -- that's why I got him initially. I think it looks really neat. :)

It was only after I got him home that I noticed his other eye was about twice the normal size and had an odd light ring around it. I run all my new bettas through a round of medicine as a preventative (the local Petco is kind of notorious poor care and this has really helped keep my guys alive long enough to get settled in), but it didn't seem to help his eye at all. I let him rest for a couple weeks, then did a round of antibiotics (since it sort of looks like popeye). Still no change, so another rest, then another round of a different brand of antibiotics (it was Clout and ... some other brand I can't think of at the moment). Since I still couldn't notice any change, for better or for worse, in his eye, I just left him alone (medicine-wise) after that.

My question is this: should I keep trying to "fix" this guy? Do you think his enlarged eye is a birth defect or something else?

The scaled-over eye moves freely, but the fish doesn't respond to light or stimulus on that side. He obviously has more use out of the enlarged eye, but it's not great.

He's in an unfiltered, unheated, 1gal glass bowl with artificial plants at the moment. I'm looking for a larger tank, but my space, budget, and weight restrictions mean I haven't found the right one yet. I do 100% water changes every 5 to 7 days, and replace the water lost to evaporation during the week. Since he seems to do better with a little bit of extra light on him, I moved a floor lamp near to him, and keep it on during daylight hours.

Here is a picture of his scaled eye:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o74/tokoz_dragon/IMG_3024.jpg

And here's his enlarged eye:
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=IMG_3020.jpg

Any help or advice would be appreciated! Also, suggestions for a name -- he needs a good one and I haven't been able to come up with anything.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

That is very strange, I've never seen it before.

Just a note, though, his other eye isn't scaled over - he just has a lot of iridescent pigment on it. Sometimes it looks like it's missing, but it's their natural color.

Does look abnormal, though... maybe Adastra or OFL can help you more than I can. It doesn't look infected or bothered... probably something genetic or an old wound/infection site?

You should be changing the water more than you are in a 1gallon unfiltered. I've heard people recommend up to every other day 100%. Also, the temperature sounds very unstable with the lamp being the heat source. I would get a larger tank as soon as you can, and get a heater for it.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #3 
Tokoz

The lamp's too far away to be a heat source. He's just at room temperature. It's pretty constant. Low, I know, but I had so many bad heaters in the past, I've just gone without for a couple years now.

If the heater worked at all, it would broil my fish (seriously, temps up in the 90s), and nothing i did changed it. Then the fish'd go shocky whenever I did water changes from the difference in temp between the old/heated and new/unheated water. They used to catch all sorts of cottony and fungus-y diseases. The fish have been so much healthier since I just gave up on the heater....

That said, one I finally find the tank upgrades I want, I'll probably look into heaters again.

Thanks for the tip on eye!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #4 
shinybetta

It looks like popeye. The enlarged one. It is caused by dirty water. I hear dried banana leaves help popeye.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #5 
TaylorW

That's really odd, it doesn't look like typical popeye, even though it very well could be... I hope someone more experienced can stop by and help you out, I've never seen anything like it!

Maybe bump up your water changes a bit though, in a 1 gallon bowl, water changes should be done once every two days. Make sure you add a water conditioner as well! :)

Oh, and try to get a heater when your budget allows! The holidays are coming, so maybe you could ask someone to get you a heater ;) I may sound like a dork, but I would love getting fish stuff for Christmas! :)

Good luck with your little guy, hope he gets better! :)
Old 09-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #6 
Bettaworldfighters

Cool The cane with the red tip didnt give it away.

[quote=Tokoz;522364]I have one of those extra large, plakat-type tail, "King" bettas from Petco. One of his eyes is scaled over -- that's why I got him initially. I think it looks really neat. :)

It was only after I got him home that I noticed his other eye was about twice the normal size and had an odd light ring around it. I run all my new bettas through a round of medicine as a preventative (the local Petco is kind of notorious poor care and this has really helped keep my guys alive long enough to get settled in), but it didn't seem to help his eye at all. I let him rest for a couple weeks, then did a round of antibiotics (since it sort of looks like popeye). Still no change, so another rest, then another round of a different brand of antibiotics (it was Clout and ... some other brand I can't think of at the moment). Since I still couldn't notice any change, for better or for worse, in his eye, I just left him alone (medicine-wise) after that.

Medicine or Antibiotics should be the last thing you use, bettas when taken care of are hardy fish , but do suffer from mental issues, what do you expect every time another betta comes by to say hello , he starts a bar room brawl. has to catch up with you. I couldnt see second picture, the first picture well lets just say , its not changing for the better, now if your fish has a eye sickness and not natures way of compensating for use of one eye, try this with any sickness your bettas get, I always put almost a table spoon of salt in every gallon, I use. when a fish is not feeling well and the temp is over 85, I add 4 tablespoons of salt to a gallon of distilled water and deep him into small bowl I prepared with salt . make a gallon shake it ,then pour into bowl. deep him for about 3 to 5 minutes 4 to 6 times a day. Most fish who get pop eye ,not all but most are eatting flake or pellets or frozen food. your most likely the exception and you and your betta have porter houses right off the grill together... excellent. just kidding, anyway if your fish doesnt respond in anyway in week or ten days, but not getting worse , dont discontinue. now get a gallon of same distilled water and get 4 or 5 green tea bags , dont heat , just let it set that way over night , and fill up quart jar with tea, and let your fish live there a few weeks, now use decaffenated tea or hes going to be really excited for a week and then be a nervouse wreck for less than 2 years. if none of this helps your fish and he's not getting worse , continue tea treatment and 1 table spoon of salt. Medications if not used correctly do more harm than help , antibiotics well you just shut down your fishes immune system for other sicknesses , but if you start them finish the treatment, never stop when fish looks better , always follow directions to the letter. The green tea works on some bettas like a miracle others doesnt seem to effect, but they like it because they are dark water fish and that darkens water, and wont hurt him. You bought a broken betta. Always think if people keep buying sick fish or damaged fish, they will continue to sell them, when I sell my bettas there the best I have. So if wants to breed , they wont get a bunch of fish with deformities . people who settle for the best only,usually get it.
My question is this: should I keep trying to "fix" this guy? Do you think his enlarged eye is a birth defect or something else?

The scaled-over eye moves freely, but the fish doesn't respond to light or stimulus on that side. He obviously has more use out of the enlarged eye, but it's not great.

He's in an unfiltered, unheated, 1gal glass bowl with artificial plants at the moment. I'm looking for a larger tank, but my space, budget, and weight restrictions mean I haven't found the right one yet. I do 100% water changes every 5 to 7 days, and replace the water lost to evaporation during the week. Since he seems to do better with a little bit of extra light on him, I moved a floor lamp near to him, and keep it on during daylight hours.

Here is a picture of his scaled eye:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o74/tokoz_dragon/IMG_3024.jpg

And here's his enlarged eye:
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=IMG_3020.jpg
Captain sparrow would be a good name , I believe your betta by now is sleeping with the fishes , He's dead. but 4 table spoons of salt in gallon of water , dip him 4 to 6 times a day. for a couple of weeks. before you use medicine. most sickness's bettas get are parasites , so when you treat your fish ,it's kind of like chemo, you have to finish medicine even if fish looks great. Also I use 1 tablespoon of salt in distilled water always doesnt seem to bother fish. also buy organic green tea 4 to 6 bags to gallon , don't heat or simmer just let it sit over nite at room temp. and then fill a quart jar ,dont simmer. ,use decafe ,or your fish is gona look real spunky for about a week, then he's going to look stressed out ,for no longer than 2 years. , I know you bought fish because of scaled eye, but people should always try to buy the best, if they did,they would quit selling deformed fish,when I sell my fish I sell the best of the best minus a pair of males and a pair of females . serious the cane with the red tip didnt set off warning lites for you. lol if fish goes blind , get him a panio , did wonders for Ray Charles, and Stevei Wonder. if you ever want to talk about bettas and cant be found just leave me message on bettaworldfighters@weebly.com, I love talking about bettas, been doing the hobby 30 years.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

This thread is almost 2 years old.
Closed Thread