Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #1 
TurquoiseBetta

1 gallon + halfmoon!

Today I went to PetCo and got a new 1 gallon glass fish bowl that I am holding my also new male Halfmoon Betta in! I'm so excited!
I have some pictures too. please comment!

So far my betta is nameless. Suggestions?
Attached Images

TurquoiseBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

First you'll need a bigger tank, at least 2.5 gallon with a heater (a good cheap heater is the Tetra preset) and a filter.

Also you'll need to watch your halfmoon boy, they can be a bit more tempermental than the average VT.

Anyway good luck with him!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #3 
weluvbettas

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

First off bettas are a lovely fish and I hope you have fun keeping them.

But bettas really need a heater as they are tropical fish and like warm water in the 78 to 80f range.

Also they need a bigger tank 2. 5 at the least . A bigger tank is better. If you cant afford a bigger tank a cheap sterile container is great for a tank while you save up.
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

You may want to lower the water level by at least an inch-these guys can jump....also, when keeping Bettas in a 1gal container you can get a pre-set heater 10-25w that will work well in them and unless you live in the tropic you will most likely need one and maintain a stable water temp of at least 76-80F

Water changes are important when using 1gal containers-I recommend that you make twice weekly water changes of 1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality to prevent problems-I have found keeping HM in 1gal containers to work well and this limits fin issues provided that proper water changes are made.

Good nutrition is also important-a good varied diet is best with limited freeze dried foods to 1-2 times a week for treats only due to bloat issues that they can cause

When making water changes try and keep the water within a couple of degrees between new and old water and use a good dechlorinator with any new water added......

Also......welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #5 
chavist93

This is a great forums with tons of great info, but it makes me cringe every time I see people tell someon the NEED at least a 2.5 gallon tank for a betta. A betta can live a long, healthy and happy life in a properly tanken care of 1 gallon bowl. I have owned many bettas over the years kept in tanks ranging from 1 gallon to 75 gallons and some actually did better in a smaller bowl than in a large tank.
chavist93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #6 
TurquoiseBetta

hey all! Thanks for commenting. First off, I named my gorgeous new boy Dusk.

Thanks for all the tips - I've kept bettas before (two males and four females, this is my third male) but it's always nice to be welcomed and get more advice!! :)

I won't be able to get a new tank in the near future, but I heater is a possibility. I will be doing water changes every Sunday and Thursday, with warm dechlorinated water, and I have Dusk in a warm place in the room, away from drafts and windows.

I'll lower the water as well, so he can't escape! ;)
Old 11-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #7 
TaylorW

Hey and welcome to the forums! :)

Looks like you've got lots of good advice already, but you might want to pick up some water conditioner, if you haven't already, and make sure you change the water once every two days!

This will prevent the ammonia levels from getting too high and it will make sure your beautiful halfmoon won't get fin rot! :)

Edit: I meant 100% water changes once every two days, partial water changes in a small bowl won't remove all the ammonia! :) You could also possibly do water changes once every three days if you picked up a couple hardy live plants! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #8 
Jupiter

Welcome to the forum! A 1 gallon will be okay if you're prepared to do the water changes. Do try to get him a heater though if your house isn't 76+ degrees, one thing that bettas do need is warm water.

And you could always find some sort of netting or mesh to place over the bowl so he doesn't jump out.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:34 AM   #9 
Duncan13

My betta once jumped almost 3 inches out of the tank. Like Jupiter said, you should get a cover for your tank.
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #10 
TurquoiseBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
Hey and welcome to the forums! :)

Looks like you've got lots of good advice already, but you might want to pick up some water conditioner, if you haven't already, and make sure you change the water once every two days!

This will prevent the ammonia levels from getting too high and it will make sure your beautiful halfmoon won't get fin rot! :)

Edit: I meant 100% water changes once every two days, partial water changes in a small bowl won't remove all the ammonia! :) You could also possibly do water changes once every three days if you picked up a couple hardy live plants! :)
I do have water conditioner, but I need to get more soon! (having four setups uses a lot of it!)

I'm ready and willing to do water changes frequently - so far I've scheduled them for Sundays and Thursdays, with mini 5-10% water changes in between the big ones!

What about decorations? So far I have that fake silk plant, but I'd like to get Dusk a cave or something of some sort. An archway? what do you think?