Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #1 
BettaLover659

Genetic Help!!

Okay so when my Parents let me get a betta want to breed them. I would love to breed a line of halfmoon or double tail bettas like this: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1291086002 or this: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1291053648. So which colors would I look for for my first gen?
BettaLover659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #2 
TaylorW

I am NOT a betta breeder, so take my words with a grain of salt. I'm just a concerned pet owner

Have you ever owned a betta or other fish before, or are you a first time owner?

If you've never owned bettas or other fish before, breeding is a bad idea until you learn what you're doing. You have to do LOTS of research to make sure your male, female, and fry are safe and healthy. You also have to make sure you can find homes for all of the babies, and you can sometimes have 100 to 200 fry. Sometimes you'll get 50, but that is still a lot of fish to individually care for and give proper homes!

If you are not new to bettas and fish care in general, I apologize, it just seems like a lot of inexperienced owners try to breed right off the bat without learning about fish care first
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #3 
BettaLover659

Oh excuse me I was planning to breed after i get used to owning one. Sorry for not posting that!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #4 
BettaLover659

I did have a angelfish that lived for 10 YEARS!!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #5 
TaylorW

Oh, ok! Just make sure you get used to their general care requirements and get used to keeping these little guys before you breed!

We have lots of great breeders on this forum, they can definitely point you in the right direction if you plan on breeding in the future!

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh, just wanted to make sure you were aware of everything before you decide to breed

If you've never owned a betta, I would pick one up from the your local pet store so you can get used to taking care of it. Bettas can only breed while their young, so if you bought Aquabid bettas now, they might not be able to breed when you decided you wanted to start breeding
Old 11-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The first male is a rare combination of colors. To make life easier, get a pair of such combination. ..... I wouldn't bother trying to create something like that from scratch because you will need to produce that perfect color mutation - which may take you many generations and very hard culling. Even a pair of such colors may not give you the same combo.

The second male (IMO) is a black lace. Again, simply get a pair of black laces. This color shouldn't be that difficult to produce.

I suggest you work with the black lace because you'll get similar offspring. When you get a better understanding of things and more experience, then you can try the multi color...... which will involve many genetic codes - Blue, Melano, (possibly mustard gas), non-red, etc..... read bettysplenden, genetics and colors & patterns section. Definitely do a lot of research on breeding and genetics before you begin breeding.... specially for the multi color.

Good Luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #7 
BettaLover659

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
Oh, ok! Just make sure you get used to their general care requirements and get used to keeping these little guys before you breed!

We have lots of great breeders on this forum, they can definitely point you in the right direction if you plan on breeding in the future!

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh, just wanted to make sure you were aware of everything before you decide to breed

If you've never owned a betta, I would pick one up from the your local pet store so you can get used to taking care of it. Bettas can only breed while their young, so if you bought Aquabid bettas now, they might not be able to breed when you decided you wanted to start breeding
Thank you so much for giving me the headsup
Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #8 
TaylorW

No problem :)

Unfortunately, I don't know the age that bettas stop breeding, but I would find that out before you invested in a pair of nice bettas! Unless you just want pretty ones as pets, of course :)

I would like to see pictures of your fish when you do start breeding, good luck and keep us posted! :) :)

Edit: Googled it, and it said most are bred before they are a year old. But someone on this forum would probably know better than I do! :)

Last edited by TaylorW; 11-29-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #9 
Malvolti

Another great way to get info from experienced breeders is through the IBC (International Betta Congress) http://www.ibcbettas.org/pages/ .

Especially once you start breeding you'll want to consider joining.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #10 
BettaLover659

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
No problem :)

Unfortunately, I don't know the age that bettas stop breeding, but I would find that out before you invested in a pair of nice bettas! Unless you just want pretty ones as pets, of course :)

I would like to see pictures of your fish when you do start breeding, good luck and keep us posted! :) :)
I will be sure to post pictures!! I have decided when I do breed the first things I will breed are Black Lace Halfmoons (Although Double-Tails Are Starting To Make Me Want That Type!!)