Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #21 
Juneii

I found this pretty black gravel at my LFS, the pebbles vary from being matte black to shiny. Pain in the butt to clean because I use a siphon to suck out most of the water during water changes and the gravel is so small that it gets sucked up along with the water. But it's so pretty!
Juneii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #22 
TRISHIESfishie

I had gravel, beautiful blue and black. It looked so freaking awesome under the L.E.D lights (especially the plue and purple). So my tank look awesome for a week. The time for first water change and a few stupid pieces had wedge themselves between the sides of the thank and the "filter" tray at the bottom. 3 little blue and black rocks almost cracked my tank (it's an acryllic cylinder shaped tank). So now no gravel. I use marbles/vase jewel stones/and tumbled rocks from a rock tumbler and I love it (So does King!)
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #23 
Jayy

Your tank is the one of the best barebottom tanks I've seen. I like your arch.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #24 
TaylorW

Thank you Jayy! Still need to get a hold of something to attach to the bottom! And thanks, the arch is Victor's favorite, he sleeps under there sometimes :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #25 
wallywestisthebest333

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
I think next time I get a hold of some black paper I will try that under my tank, and maybe add a few stones or something... I might try to find something to attach the big java fern to, it doesn't like to just sit there! :P

I would really like to get a removable carpet growing, is that asking too much? XD
Actually no it's not. =] If you get some craft mesh and some java moss or some similar moss then it'll spread across the mesh and you'll have a removable carpet. =]

I have no idea if someone's already posted this though! XD If they have I'm sorry! XD
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #26 
TheSecondOne

Cleaning gravel is a pain, I agree. That's why I never used them.
TheSecondOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #27 
celine18

that poor moss ball!!! it was massacered!!!!!!

yea, i gave up on gravel in sams 1.5 gal bowl....sooo annoying to dump it out, rinse, put back in. wow, i can't imagine sharing a bathroom with 30 people, luckily my college i'm going to has suite style dorms (except for the super creepy, ghost-infested 4th floor...but if i get put up there it's not gonna go over well, hehe)

....i'm really not looking forward to dealing with sand in my 10 gal, i'm sooooo jealous of your tank!!! >.<
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #28 
MrVampire181

BTW how is that hang on heater? They sell em for $7 at my local fish store and submersibles are always needing a use in my bigger tanks.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #29 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by celine18 View Post
that poor moss ball!!! it was massacered!!!!!!
When I bought it it was half brown and it never recovered :( :( :( I tried to nurse the poor thing back to health, I really did! Then I tried to roll it into smaller moss balls, and they started to get brown on the inside, so I had to pick them apart to keep it alive :( :( :(
Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #30 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
BTW how is that hang on heater? They sell em for $7 at my local fish store and submersibles are always needing a use in my bigger tanks.
The heater works pretty well, but as a warning, it is NOT water proof! When I fill my tank up to where it touches the blue plastic, water leaks inside of the glass tube and gets in the electronics But besides that, it does a decent job of keeping my water warm, even though sometimes it's a tad finicky. You have to let it acclimate for 20 minutes before plugging it in after a water change.

I'd say it's worth it for the price, my water has never gotten below 76 or above 86 when I've let it acclimate properly , even with all the crazy temperature swings in my dorm and our crazy weather. In the 70's on day and in the 40's the next! :/

It usually keeps the water decently stable, within 2-3 degrees.