Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #11 
Red and Bob

The pleco is small right now. I know it will need to be rehomed. I plan on getting a bigger aquarium.

I don't have anything to get any readings from the water. What do I need to get the readings??

I'm going to get a heater tonight but you say not to use the salt with my pleco in there so should I not get the aquarium salt? I'll have to get a vacuum as well.
Red and Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

QT the Betta and use the aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with daily water changes or just do the two cup method for Ich..if that is what he has-I can't tell by the pics (I have an old computer and pic don't show well for me)
What does the pleco look like any white spots or Ich on it? do you know what kind it is? it look like the common type and can sometimes tolerate small amounts of salt when added slow-but he could also be the reason for the scar looking thing on the Betta...hard to say....

I would go ahead and get the salt, heater, thermometer and vacuum so you can make the proper water changes regardless of what is wrong.....don't raise the water temp too fast

For water prams you need a master test kit for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #13 
TaylorW

As for heaters, I have a 25 watt in my 2.5, and it's doing fine! I think 50 watts or less would be ok, I saw someone on the forum using a 50 watt in a 2.5, although I really wouldn't advise it.

You have a 5 gallon, so I think anything 50 watts or less would be ok...
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #14 
Red and Bob

No I haven't noticed any ich on the pleco. I think the pleco is a common one. They didn't tell me at the store but from the looks of him thats what he looks like to me.

I will try and QT my betta but I threw away the other tank =( I'll have to get another small one.

Do they sell the test kits at petsmart or petco?

Oh I felt the water of the tank expecting it to be room temp, but its actually warm. Probably from the light. Im glad it wasn't cold though. Im still going to get all the necessary stuff.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #15 
Malvolti

Something I've done in larger community tanks (I used to keep 20 gal communities but I've never tried this in a 5 gal) is to get a large 1-2 gallon plastic container, I think Ziploc makes them as well as a few other companies, and float it in the larger tank. Attatch the container to the side of the tank with a clothes pin, tape, string, anything that holds the container still and doesn't let the water outside the bin mix with the water inside.

Doing this will let the container stay heated without needing an extra tank/heater etc. It isn't exactly perfect or ideal but in a make-do situation it can work.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #16 
Red and Bob

I found this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ick-Guard-...c-Pets/4252991 can you tell me if its worth getting or if I should stick with the salt?

How long will it take for my betta to get better?

Last edited by Red and Bob; 11-29-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #17 
Malvolti

Start with what OldFishLady suggested. Medications are best saved for extreme cases since they can cause long term damage to your fish. More often than not water changes and salt will fix the problem. However, having the medications on hand is a good idea.

As for how long? As long as it takes. The physical symptoms should go away after a few days but it is always best to treat for a little longer to make sure the fish doesn't get sick again. Although if you do treat with salt you should stop using salt by the 10th day.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #18 
JKfish

It depends on how bad the ich is. If you do frequent water changes and clean the bottom of the quarentine tank daily as well as keeping him heated and dosed with salt, it should die off relatively quickly. Once he's better, if you keep up with proper water changes, he should stay better as well.

Personally, I would go for aquarium salt because it's useful for a lot of different things as well, but I'm also always afraid that something could go wrong with actual medicines and dosing.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #19 
TaylorW

I like aquarium salt as well, it works for a bunch of different illnesses! :) But I keep medicine around just in case :)

I have used Walmart's QuickCure if you want to get it as backup. Use the tetra dosage though! :)

I wouldn't trust that Ick Guard you linked, I don't see how you could kill Ich without raising the water temperature while not harming your fish. It would have to damage the fish's slime coat or something crazy... and Ich cannot be killed while attached to the fish. You have to raise the temperature to make it unattached...

This is the one I used: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aquarium-P...fl-oz/10313376

I would still try to treat with salt first, and only use this if he doesn't show any signs of improvement.

QuickCure is pretty hardcore stuff, it will kill EVERYTHING in your tank and dye your tank temporarily blue... I only used it for 3 days since it's so strong.

Last edited by TaylorW; 11-29-2010 at 05:53 PM.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #20 
Red and Bob

I will definitely get the salt and start with that. If he shows no improvement I will go to the quick cure.