Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #21 
JKfish

There technically is not quick cure. The aquarium salt and heat will kill the adult ich and help heal wounds, as will the medicine. For both you'll need to do frequent 100% water changes with gravel scrubbing to get the ich that has fallen off of Red (but could still be alive) out of the tank, and for both you're going to have to wait for the ich to die. For both you're going to want to continue treatment about three days after there are no signs of ich on your fish just to make sure you kill off the non adult stages as well.

:) Hopefully the treatment will go quickly and problem free for you
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #22 
TaylorW

You're definitely right jkfish, I am really not sure why it's called QuickCure, because after I used the medicine for three days, I still had to keep the temperature up and use salt for several days afterward and still had to do the frequent water changes for about a week.

So it's not exactly the QuickCure it claims, but you can't use it for more than 3 days according to the instructions. I guess it's that strong or dangerous?? Not really sure :P

But yeah, jk is right, there's no true quick cure for Ich. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression :/
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #23 
Red and Bob

You didn't give the wrong impression. =) It's just the name of the brand.

Soooo, I was checking out my pleco more closely and he DOES have ich on him. =( I think he's the one who brought it to my tank! I just got him recently and NOW I have this parasite. UGH!

I got a new 5 gal tank, aquarium salt, a heater, new filters (needed replacements) and a thermometer...then I ran out of money...lol I will have to clean out everything tomorrow morning as its kind of late now and I couldn't bring the aquarium in the house yet.

How should I treat my pleco since he has it as well? I only bought one heater. Im thinking of taking the pleco back, since I think it might have had this parasite and brought it to my tank. If its too difficult to treat the pleco I might just do that. I would at least like to know how to treat him though. I like that little guy. (yes I know hes going to get huge)
Red and Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #24 
JKfish

I think you can treat pelcos the same way as you can treat your betta, but he might be sensitive to salt, so you should research that, and also wait for others to give more info. Don't take my word

It's possible your pleco didn't bring the ich, it can come with stress, too cold water, etc, though your pelco probably brought it to the tank
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #25 
Red and Bob

How often do I change the water/clean the tank for my betta who is being treated for ich? I thought I read every day but I can't find where I read that. I do not have a vacuum and I cannot afford one right now so I have to do everything by hand.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #26 
Oldfishlady

To be effective it is important to manually remove the parasites from the tank after they fall off the fish and this is best done with a vacuum.....you can however, remove all the substrate and then make 100% daily water changes or better yet and easier...put the Betta in a small container and float him in the heated tank for the duration of the treatment making 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 3 days past the last day you could see the parasite on the fish.......while still making 50-75% water changes on the main tank...the parasite should die within 48 hours of not having a host, however, now days we have super bug from over use and wrong dosage of both salt and some medication and the parasite has been known to go dormant or un-affected by treatment...this is why QT new fish and keeping our fish healthy to start so that their immune response can fights these things off without any interaction from us....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #27 
Red and Bob

Yeah, unfortunately I did not know you needed to QT new fish. =( I do now though. This mistake won't happen again. Im just hoping my betta will pull through. He seems happier. We'll see. I'd hate to put him in a small container though, however it will be a lot easier to clean since I don't yet have a vacuum. I have to do two full tank clean outs today, the tank that he was in before with the infected Pleco (that I took back) and the hospital tank since he was in there all night last night. Then I will set up his little container with some salt in the fresh tank.

So I leave him in that container for 3 days with daily water changes?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #28 
Oldfishlady

No, 3 days past the last day you could see the parasites on his body-often they can still be in the gill area and you can't see them

The daily water changes are to remove any of the parasites that fell off his body or they will reproduce and keep infecting him and for healing and general well being

Salt to help kill some of the parasite and for the treatment for the wounds they leave on the fish as they fall off

Temp-to speed the parasite life cycle so they fall off faster so they can be removed or killed (you can't kill them on the fish without killing the fish)

Good diet-immune response, healing...etc....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #29 
Red and Bob

I just got done changing his water and setting up his little container. I put about two pinches of salt in the container. He's now in it getting settled. I also cleaned the original contaminated tank that he and the pleco shared. I rinsed the substrate with really hot water, used my hands to move them around. I didn't know if I should use a cleaner or not so I didn't. I cleaned the tank with a wash rag and water, again I didn't know if I should use cleaner. Anyways. I just left the tank empty with the substrate in it but no water since no fish are occupying it. I don't know if I should treat the tank or not or if its fine??
Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #30 
TaylorW

You were smart not to use cleaner! :D

If you really want to disinfect the tank, you can use a little bit of vinegar or bleach. I always rinse it until I can no longer smell the bleach or vinegar, and then rinse a few times extra after that to be safe! :)

But just a good couple rinses with hot water will get rid of most stuff.

Oh, and if your tank glass is cold, don't dump in super hot water! It can cause the tank to crack... Poor Wallywest had to learn that the hard way! :(
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote