Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2010, 11:56 PM   #1 
RSandelli

Lightbulb Other people not understanding the LOVE for your betta!!

Hello! So my little guy is named Villa. Villa is a little sick right now and requiring medication and lots of my time and attention. When I went into the fish store again for more supplies, the guy asked me, "Wouldn't it just be cheaper to start over?" "Uhhh...start over what" "You know, buy a new Betta, it would be so much cheaper". I was SOOOO mad!!!

I know he is just a little fish but they are soooo under appreciated. He is the little spark in my life and he has such a funny personality.

When he got sick, I was so frustrated running around because no one seemed to want to take the time to explain to me how to get him better.

People think I'm nuts too when I tell them lovingly how I bought him a new plant or some new gravel for his tank.

Anyone else feel like this?
RSandelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #2 
metalbetta

Totally get it.
The mainstream population doesn't see the betta fish as a pet you're supposed to feed every day, love, and take GOOD care of. They're decorations. "practice pets" for the kids. Experiments. A way to kill time. Fighters. Something totally trivial.
People don't see their personalities and what great pets they can be because they're so preoccupied with the above. They're just as lovable as a dog or a cat. They can't exactly cuddle with you, but that doesn't mean they can't love you just the same as a furry animal would.

I don't ever see people in general holding bettas as high as fishkeepers like you and me do, but at least these fish have people like us and the rest of the people on this forum to treat them as they deserve to be treated. It's better than nobody.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #3 
Imabee

Yep I totally understand. My family looks at me like I'm nuts when I talk about something cute that my betta did or something I when I buy him something for his tank that I think he will like. They really don't get it, but I don't care. I love my little guy and he makes me happy.
Imabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #4 
TaylorW

I completely understand! People look at me like I'm retarded when I start explaining how much I love and care for my fish!

I know this sounds dumb, but since I live on a college campus where fish are the only pets we can keep in the dorms, I feel like it's my job to educate people. I explain what it really takes to take good care of a fish; some of them look at me like like I'm a little nutty, but others really seem to care :)

Thank goodness I have an understanding boyfriend, he really seems to understand that Victor is super important to me :) I've even caught him playing with Victor when he thought I wasn't looking :P

Mom and Dad think I'm nuts though, they really do :P Oh, and my roommate. She thinks I've lost it too :P

Last edited by TaylorW; 11-12-2010 at 11:47 AM.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #5 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

^Hehe my boyfriend plays with my betta too when he thinks I am not looking! but it's so cute, whenever he sits down on the couch close to the tank, my betta swims over and flares at him. Bwhahaha!
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #6 
RSandelli

I am so glad I found this little forum :) It is making me feel a lot better about my obsession with little Villa. Hopefully I can get him all better!
RSandelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

I get it!! My whole family (except my mom...but I got a free betta from Thailand so I set up a little 2 gallon, heated and filtered and gave him to her) love fish and see them for what they truely are. As a betta breeder I love to see them develop from little white specks to fully flared beauties. Their personalities start very young. However very few get the chance to show us, or other people the beauty of them and how special they really are. I simply love the betta hobby. Even when it costs me $60 everytime I buy a new pair. I would'nt trade this hobby for anything.

Here's what I get:

"Why do you care so much about stupid fish? They only live like 2 weeks anyway."

"Maybe I know what I'm doing and actually care. Ever try a FISH TANK? There's the secret to a healthy fish."

OR:

"I can't wait till tomorrow!"
"Why?"
"I get my $50 pair of bettas in the mail!"
"What idiot spends $50 on two fish?"

Luckily I have a couple of friends who care. Plus with a new IBC chapter (possibly, not 100% a sure thing) opening up here my love for bettas will only grow :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #8 
metalbetta

There's an aquarium society here in Nebraska but it's mainly for saltwater type stuff.

Don't really have non-internet friends that are as into the hobby as I am.

... lol I love you guys. :)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

We love ya too! It's sad when some members never come back. I'm happy though that there might be an IBC chapter opening up here!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #10 
Moldau

It's terrible that so many people think that way, but at least we can all come onto this forum where there are others who care. I'm glad my friends and family are understanding, anyway, even if they aren't as interested in fish as I am.
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote