Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #1 
BunniesLair

Fin Rot

Ok.. So I need some guidance as to what I am doing wrong.

Mt. T has slit fins, which I presume is fin rot.

I change his water religiously 50% every week, I have it calendared. And I rinse the filter out with each water change and change the filter monthly. He is in an Aqueon 2.5 Gal Tank, heated with a 25 watt Elite mini-submersible 5.

The girl who gave me the fish, who also has one, hers stays in an unheated 1/2 g bowl on her desk and I have to fuss at her to change his water. Her fish is never sick..

What am I doing wrong?
BunniesLair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If it is slit fins it may be an injury from something in the tank like a plastic plant or decoration, sometimes too strong of water flow from a filter can cause fin damage as well as some substrates...so check you tank and make sure nothing is causing the slit in the fins

Slits fin don't always mean fin rot...can you post a pic and tell us more about what it looks like

In a 2.5gal filtered/heated tank I would increase your regular water changes to twice weekly 50%-1-water only and 1-include substrate cleaning....on your filter media give it a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month with a water change and when the water flow slows-unless you are wanting to use carbon you don't need to change the filter media that often

To help heal the slit fin-I would make 50% daily water changes until you start to see healing and then back off to every other day and every 3rd day etc....based on how the fins look

If it is fin rot-you may want to QT and start a 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 10 days...feeding high protein diet can also help the healing process as will tannins from IAL or oak leaf
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #3 
BunniesLair

I noticed his fins have looked thinner - but I put it down to the color changing. Thinking that without color they just looked thinner. But today I noticed the slits, and he doesn't have anything in his tank but a cave and java fern plant.

The media - I havent really cleaned it that often, maybe twice in 6 months. Maybe that's the problem.

I put Aquarium salt in; I am also using API - Fungus Cure. It says to take out the filter, put in the right dosages, leave for 48 hours; repeat for another 48 hours then change 25% of the water and replace the filter. So that is why the water is slightly green in the photo. The fungus cure did it. The photo doesn't show it real well, but his veil is very slitted, but you can see the slit in the dorsel fin.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It sounds more like the results of poor water quality and bad bacteria in the substrate eroding the fins and possibly too strong of a filter.

I am no a big advocate of the use of OTC medication except in extreme cases and then only with a firm diagnosis.....

My recommendation would be to increase the water changes and substrate cleaning/vacuuming to improve water quality and then a regular schedule twice weekly cleaning/vacuuming/water changes to prevent fin problems.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #5 
BunniesLair

Ok.. Since I do not have a vacuum, It would be best to take out the substrate, correct? That way I will forestall this happening again.

So my plan is now to take out the substrate, 50% water change and aquarium salt; put the filter back in and then do another water change on Friday.