Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2010, 01:20 AM   #1 
demonicangel132007

Bad Luck with Bettas?

(if this doesn't belong here I apologize)

I have developed a recent obsession with fish tanks, I have one that I bought for my grandfather before he passed away and it is sitting empty. I was thinking about getting a betta fish (or a few depending on how much room/money I have later on ) but I'm a little squeamish about them. You see, I really haven't had the best of luck with them. (Perhaps because they were both bought from Wal-Mart )

I had one years ago (Benji), I didn't have him for very long before an ice storm hit, electricity went out and the poor baby froze. My second Betta (I don't remember if I named it or not) was knocked over by my cat (who now lives outside now). Neither of them living for more than a month or so.

I love all kinds of animals and would love to own a Betta because they are beautiful creatures, but after my recent experiences with them I'm a little afraid to.

I guess, what I'm really wondering is...any advice for a paranoid noob?
demonicangel132007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:27 AM   #2 
dukie1346

Hello, welcome to the forum :)

I think as long as you have a nice tank, heated, and water changes are done enough, you should go ahead :)

There is a lot you can learn about bettas, so check around the site.. How big is the old tank you are planning to use?

Many people here suggest at least 2.5 gallon tanks or larger. This reason being it is easier to heat, and water changes are a bit less than a smaller tank, like 1 gallon.

I started out with some bad experience myself with bettas, but I've gotten so much better, and I must say they do get addicting!
Once again, welcome to the forum :)
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:37 AM   #3 
demonicangel132007

Thank you. I don't know if I'm going to use the tank I bought for my grandfather for Betta fish, only because I'm not sure how big it is but I do know that I do not have a heater. Does anyone know if they have them at Wal-Mart? The nearest PetSmart to where I live is 45 minutes away and my town's only pet store was shut down and bulldozed, leaving Wal-Mart as my only option.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:44 AM   #4 
dukie1346

Walmart does have some fish things, but please don't get a little tank, they have a lot of them for sale....

Walmart does have 5 gallon tanks for 30 dollars, which could be used for 1 betta, or divided for 2.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653

They also sell some preset heaters, which many people do not like. I, however, use heaters from walmart all the time and have not had a problem with them. They are about 15 dollars for a heater, but it depends on the size of the tank.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:54 AM   #5 
demonicangel132007

There are a couple of tanks from Wal-Mart that I have my eye on, but I do stay away from the smaller tanks (like this). Yes, they are cute but I remember someone telling me (before I started this research) that they like to jump and that part freaks me out, a little.

But that picture in the link reminds me of what I meant to ask in my last post. Is there any certain type of gravel that I should stay away from or should I use those smooth pebbles (which I think we had with my first Betta)? A friend of my mom's had a koi fish and it liked to eat the pebbles, so I didn't know if that could be a problem.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:05 AM   #6 
dukie1346

Most gravel would be fine, as long as it is washed well. Try to stay away from large rocks or stones a betta could wedge between in, and it'll be fine.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 AM   #7 
demonicangel132007

Thank you for all of the help. :)
Old 11-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #8 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I have the 5 gallon from walmart, and I LOVE it.

This is what mine looks like:
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #9 
demonicangel132007

I checked out Wal-Mart tonight, and the smallest aquarium starter kit they had was a three-gallon aquarium, the next size up from that was a 10-gallon similar to that one.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

In case of a power outage, I got some shipping heat packs. After the last ice storm I want to be prepared. I'll put my fish in their cups and put the cups in a cooler with 2 heat packs.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote