Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #1 
bettabreeder123
Banned

Exclamation betta not making nest

my male red vt will not make a bubble nest in for spawning no matter what. i used nutrafin water condtioner with almond leaf extract and it was to make his testostrone level go up to make neset but he would just swim around doing nothing to female and the female will bite him and he wont mind for some reason. i took him out but whats wrong with him?? is it possible i have a betta that will breed without a bubble nest?
bettabreeder123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #2 
bettablue

well first of all i don't think your suppose to put the female in when he doesn't have a bubble nest? and also do you have plants or cups for him to build a nest under?
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #3 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettabreeder123 View Post
my male red vt will not make a bubble nest in for spawning no matter what. i used nutrafin water condtioner with almond leaf extract and it was to make his testostrone level go up to make neset but he would just swim around doing nothing to female and the female will bite him and he wont mind for some reason. i took him out but whats wrong with him?? is it possible i have a betta that will breed without a bubble nest?
Bettas cannot breed without a bubble nest. First of all, you don't just plop the female in there to see if they spawn. You need to "introduce" them first via a smaller container within a 10g tank with the male. To put it simply, you do not let the female swim freely in the tank. After a few days, he might start dancing for her, and she might start dancing back and he'll build a bubble nest. Once the female is full of eggs and continues to dance back at the male, then they can mate.

At this point, I suggest taking the female out and putting her in her own separate container (1 gallon minimum, please) for now out of sight of the male. Wait a week, then put her container next to his or put it in his tank (make sure the container cannot sink...fix it to the side of the tank). If he still doesn't make a nest, then he probably doesn't want to mate.

If they do mate successfully, then after they're done, you need to carefully remove the female because the male will probably beat her up. Also, when putting her back into the tank if they look like they're ready to mate, if she looks like she's getting really beaten up while he's trying to get ahold of her to spawn, take her out immediately and start treating her.

I highly suggest doing more research before you breed bettas. A lot of stuff can go wrong.

**EDIT** You will probably need some plants for the fry and maybe half of a styrofoam cup for him to build the nest under. It is also rumored that indian almond leaves help encourage spawning and helps prevent egg fungus.

Last edited by Tsuhei; 11-30-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: more info
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #4 
JaspersANGEL

Well said Tsuhei!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #5 
bettabreeder123
Banned

actually i did all that i introduced and did all the step and actually ur wrong cause some betta can breed without a nest and thats a fact.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #6 
bettablue

well if you already knew the answer and you don't want to listen to others then you shouldn't have posted.....
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

+1 bettablue

Sorry bettabreeder123 I just don't think you're prepared enough to be breeding bettas.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Bettabreeder123 why do you keep posting thread after thread if your not going to listen to people's advice? If you do not agree with what people are saying please don't continue to post threads that may push someone else's thread down who may actually want advice.

As to your question it is possible for a male to spawn without a nest but highly unlikely. If the male is not bubble nesting he is either too old to spawn or not well conditioned.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #9 
bettafish15

bettabreeder123, I think the cheese has slipped off your cracker, to be honest. You just cant breed bettas under the conditions you have for them. Please take peoples advice, and listen to them. These people are well experienced, if anyone is right it's them. I agree with Mr. Vampire's post. Please start listening to people soon :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #10 
bettabreeder123
Banned

okay i mean i don't know if hes one of the rare no nest kind. and betta fish15, i am 11. i make silly choises sometime and dont listen. thats what i do.