My betta has white coloration near his mouth. I can't tell if it is just the coloration of his scales or if it's a fungus or ich. It hasn't spread or changed, but in the last two days, he's started scratching. I've attached two pictures of him.
I honestly hadn't paid that much attention to it until the last 2-3 weeks. Three weeks ago, he developed popeye. I treated with Erythromycin for 10 days and although he lost his eye (3 days after popeye developed), he is doing much better and his behavior is back to normal (moving around, eating normally, even blowing bubble nests).
Does anyone have an idea what this is? Should I be concerned and if so, how should I treat it?
Here are answers to the standard questions.
- What size is your tank? 2 gallon bowl
- What temperature is your tank? 72-76 (varies with time of day)
- Does your tank have a filter? no
- Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
- Is your tank heated? yes I have a 7.5 watt Hydor mini heater
- What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none
- What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Betta Pellets
- How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x per day, 5-6 pellets
- How often do you perform a water change? Every 3-5 days
- What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Up until today, 100%. I just got a gravel vacuum, so today I did 75%.
- What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquarium Salt and Zoo Med Betta H2O Conditioner.
Symptoms and Treatment
- Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no
- Ammonia: n/a
- Nitrite: n/a
- Nitrate: n/a
- pH: n/a
- Hardness: n/a
- Alkalinity: n/a
- How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not sure if the white around his mouth is new or not...
- How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Pretty normal, although he's started scratching on the stones at the bottom.
- When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed it 2-3 weeks ago, but not sure if it's new or if I just never noticed it before.
- Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
- Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, he had popeye 3 weeks ago. I treated with Erythromycin - he lost his eye, but seems to have made a full recovery. I noticed the white coloration when I first started treating him for this. I've paid much closer attention to him every since then.
- How old is your fish (approximately)? I've owned him for six months. My sister had him for approximately six months before that.