Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #1 
CrankyFish84

6 days & ammonia still 0 in my 3 G...

I know my testing kit is working properly (API), because another had .25 showing...I used to do every other day 100% changes on the 3G since I assumed it would take longer to cycle...but today (day 6 since the last change), it still is at 0. I've started testing all of them everyday for research. Does this finding sound correct? Oh ya and I seeded the filter w/ established media.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Your ammonia source is a Betta correct or fish in cycling.....also, what are the other numbers for nitrite and nitrate
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #3 
CrankyFish84

Ok the nitrites are 0, and nitrates are almost 5.0. Still too low huh? Nitrates are 10 in Ren & Danny Boy's tanks, the oldest running filters.

I'm not trying to slack on changes, but I also don't want to over change it...Can't that stress them out as well? Or no?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Forgot to ask this question...any live plants, if so what kind and how many

With the nitrate reading you are most likely cycled or close and would be expected since you seeded the tank

You have other things that build up in the tank that we don't/can't test for and they are the dissolved organic compounds or DOC's for short and they can be harmful to the fish/livestock just as ammonia, nitrite and high nitrate...even with low or no readings on ammonia, nitrite and normal nitrate you still need to be doing weekly to twice weekly water changes for the DOC's that can affect the immune response, stunt growth, affect appetite, general well being.....you also can have pH and hardness changes that can occur from old water and when you do make that water change it can shock the fish making it sick or killing it.....bottom line......freshwater fish thrive best in fresh water...it is what we can't see or test for that can be just as harmful......

When water changes are done correctly it should not be stressful on the fish and often the fish will start to look forward to the water change and fresh clean water....kinda like us and fresh air....we depend on it just as a fish depends on fresh water....their environment..........it is a closed system after all....

On a cycled 3gal filtered tank-twice weekly 50% water changes should maintain water quality for one Betta-1-water only and 1-include the substrate.......every other day or 100% should not be needed in a cycled filtered 3gal tank......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-01-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #5 
CrankyFish84

Yes that all makes sense :) Thank you for replying. I will do the changes regardless of ammonia on the schedule you suggested. No live plants in that one yet...the light heats up the water so much, swings the temp quite a bit, so I keep it off.

One more question...So for the cycled 10G's w/ 2 bettas, is 25% once a week Ok? Or 50% better?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I am a big fan of 50% weekly in 10gal tank with vacuum in all areas that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant roots....remove half the bad stuff and dilute......
Old 12-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #7 
CrankyFish84

Sounds like a plan So I shouldn't rinse decorations/heater in hot water during the weekly cleanings?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

No, not needed, however, decoration and fake plants can be cleaned as needed especially if you are having a diatom or algae problem but still best to do this in the old tank water so you will still have some of the good bacteria on them...same as with the walls of the tank-clean the viewing walls as needed but leave the back wall so that algae can grow-this is also a good sign of healthy water not to mention the micro critters that feed off it that the fish/livestock love to graze on......
Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #9 
gbose

Congratulations! your tank has cycled!

Crankyfish,

From your description and measurements, your tank has cycled. It's safe to keep fish now. I totally envy you -- my main tank took a month, but I did not have the advantage of 'seeding' the bacteris.

I do totally agree with Oldfishlady on weekly water changes.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #10 
CrankyFish84

Yay ! :) Good bacteria rules. Multiple tank syndrome has it's perks...hehe