Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2010, 05:36 AM   #11 
TheSecondOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoretickets View Post
and so the matrix becomes reality
Exactly, nomoretickets.

Bettablue, I agree with Jupiter's advice. Even though you may do quite a bit of water changes already, you'll need to focus on removing those planeria. If all else fails, you can remove all the gravel for now, clean up the whole tank, and then place back the cleaned gravel into the tank after the planeria are totally gone.
TheSecondOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:50 AM   #12 
DormDrax

Now you can all slap me across the face for me probably being wrong... but...

Small robot-like swimming worms... Being a Botany Nerd... Makes me think of Mosquito Larva which sometimes Develop in my Water Plant Vases where you can see them jerk back and forth ... like a robot. They also have a little thing they use to attach themselves to stuff (I'll clean the vase and roots off yet the little creeps hang on somehow when I notice them swimming around in the just cleaned water)

Yet there are 2 big flaws with my idea (I'm new and wanted to help don't hurt me!) Don't Betta love those Larva? And Mosquito larva are normally black... right? Then again I never notice them until they are almost full size and catch them in the corner of my eye when adding water to the vases.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #13 
Dragonlady

Without a picture, I am guessing that the " bugs" you have are likely freshwater copepods or maybe daphnia that hitchhiked from the plant from the pond. Pull out your microscope or magnifying glass and get a better look.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

That would be my guess too..daphnia or maybe seed shrimp...harmless and often a sign of healthy water....look at this link and see if you can't ID them....

http://planetinverts.com/what_is_tha..._aquarium.html
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #15 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
Yet there are 2 big flaws with my idea (I'm new and wanted to help don't hurt me!)
LOL, this made me laugh! XD I don't think anyone would hurt you around here, and being new or not, it's very hard to tell what's growing in a tank without a picture!

Heck, your guess is as good as mine, I know nothing about the little critters that get in people's tanks! :P
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #16 
bettablue

after using Oldfishylady's website I'm 90% sure that they are Copepods, Cyclops which are harmless.. I think they may have come from the food I feed to my frog (FBS) maybe they had some in there and even tho I cleaned the gravel I missed some? Now my question is how to get rid of them? Do I have to do a complete tank change again? They seem to hate disturbed water so if I keep the bubbler one 24 hrs will that kill them?

sorry I didn't see jupiter's comment, I think that dirty gravel may be the case because I have lots of baby snails in there and they sure can poop! I'll do two 50% water changes every week to make sure the gravel is clean....

Last edited by bettablue; 12-01-2010 at 06:31 PM.
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #17 
Capricorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoretickets View Post
and so the matrix becomes reality
oh my god I just laughed SO HARD.

Anyways.

If they're harmless, don't worry about trying to exterminate them... from what I understand having critters like that is a sign of a healthy tank. Try to remove uneaten food or feed less and see if that helps bring the numbers down a little.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

So true Capricorn....and what you have to remember too.....we just created a mini ecosystem and it is not a sterile environment and we don't want it to be or nothing will live in it...not even our fish......all that stuff in the water works together to maintain life.....we need the algae and the critters in our tank to help keep it healthy....now since this is a closed system some of these thing have to be controlled...too much of a good thing can be bad....you have to create a balance in our little ecosystem and when everything starts to work together it can be awesome and beautiful.....people get in too big of a hurry to try and kill everything and make things worse by upsetting the balance......because it is icky or they don't understand the importance.......control yes....kill no.......you can tear this tank down and start all over but the little critters will be back.......best to keep things balanced and under control by increasing substrate cleaning, water changes, removing uneaten food, etc.........you would be amazed at what is in your tank that you don't even know about.........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #19 
JaspersANGEL

+1 what Ofl said!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #20 
bettablue

I agree, w/ OFL that some creatures are good but there is too many of them, this morning I turned n the lights and bubbler and thousands of them swam to the surface... It's really weird, I just did a gravel change yesterday and I'll keep it up... from now one I will feed my frog in a separate container so it'll pollute the water less.
thanks for the help :)
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote