Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #1 
PewPewPew

So this tank right here..

Alright. I'm not a total noob betta owner, but please- dont belittle me with any mean comments. I LOVE my boy Alle, and would and *have done every last thing I could to make his life the best it can be. I got him and he was nearly DEAD, and I spent more money than I had to spend on a college budget, more time than I had to give during midterms, and cried hard for my little man while he was sick. I.love.my.buddy.
So please, dont attack what I say, call me cruel, etc. I've seen people get kinda ripped in to on here about "tanks being too small", etc., and dont feel like having that happen to me. Nice, reasonable and constructive responses, pleaseee! :''''c
ANYWAY.
I have a 1.5 gallon Tetra tank with a heater and filter for Alle. Hes a VT orange Dalmation who likes to take life slow (I think he's actually sorta old..) My question is, is my tank on the small side for him? Granted, he lives a great life and I dont have the space for any larger a tank, but Ive been seeing that that size is considered "too small".. I almost wanna say I disagree, at least for Alle- he's got lots of space to play and rest and is happy as pie <3
I was also thinking of switching to live plants like my boyfriend has in his tank (the same tank and same features) at some point (I have silk atm- Alle isnt terribly interested in them, he likes to play around the heater and thermometer >_>) If I did, would I need to keep my filter/airator on for it? I almost never do because the filter's a BEAST and if its even a little above a few centemeters above the gravel, it dang near sucks my bettaboy up! D8" Does anyone know about small live plants in that regard (like the ones in tubes at Petsmart?)
Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnkkkk you :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:50 AM   #2 
purplemuffin

The biggest reasons we say tanks are too small are either because the average fish owner is not willing to do the necessary water changes and because it is hard to heat a small tank... Some fish do prefer having more room to swim, though some people who say they have a 'lazy' betta really just have a cold one who doesn't move much because of the low temperature in such a small tank..

Though most people will say nothing less than a 2.5(for good reason) it can be done, but you have to dedicate much more time and effort to the fish so he stays healthy... The smaller the tank, the more water changes, the harder it is to keep stable temperatures, the easier it is for a fish to jump out, and the faster it is for something to go wrong... Someone shouldn't keep a fish in a small tank to cut corners, cause that will just make things worse.

But that's my view, if you are willing to put out the work to keep him healthy, ok..But generally 2.5 isn't MUCH bigger than a 1.5, even a 2.5 gallon jar has a smaller base size so can fit easier! Just for the future :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #3 
MrVampire181

My new fish I'm picking up from the PO will be in 1 gallon heated tanks. It depends on how much water you're willing to change and how frequently. I have some 2 1/2 month old male bettas in quart jars...daily 100% water changes. I do reccomend a lareger tank, at least 2.5 gallons.

Bettas defend a small territory in the wild, which leads people to believe they like small places but small tanks are difficult to heat and maintain water quality.

As for live plants go with Java Fern or Java Moss.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:11 AM   #4 
ilovebunnies

If you want to keep plants you don't need a tank to have filtration or an airator. The most important thing for plants is a good light. Usually the smaller tank kits come with a light that is inadequate for most plants but some low light plants might do ok with the light that came with your tank. If the light doesn't keep the plants alive, some people get the clip on desk lamps at walmart and put a 13 watt CFL bulb in it. (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gooseneck-...ickel/13285331)

Be careful when choosing the plants that are in the tubes at Petsmart, some of them aren't full aquatic and will rot. A couple of good low light plants are java fern, java moss, anubias, marimo balls. Java fern, java moss, and anubias cannot be planted in the substrate but you can let them float or tie them to driftwood, an ornament, or a rock. Marimo balls are popular and very easy (these aren't sold in the tubes at Petsmart), just drop them in the tank and they eventually sink to the bottom. Every water change just ring them out and put them back in the tank.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:22 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

Thanks, ilovebunnies- Ive been looking into how some arent full aquatic. My tank gets quite a bit of light, but Ill look more into the lower light ones.
And yeah- I clean my tank often, water changes whenever I can, no less than once or twice a week for either, ever.
And I keep his tank as warm as possible, though the awful draft in my dorm makes it a little chillier than I want, but never below 76' as the auto (not settable DX) heater will kick on. Alle's not lazy, just never was really into that whole "shwimmin'" thing <3 He works on nests, all day everyday. He's a total nutjob about em..oyyy.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #6 
celine18

i love love love my wisteria thats in my guys bowl. i think its pretty, just floating there, and it's always sprouting out new leaves. my betta also likes rubbing on it. it comes in the tubes.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

If you get live plants I agree that the light is the most important thing. And the most important thing about a light is not its watt per gallon but it's Kelvin rating.

You'll need a light whose Kelvin rating is at around 6,500. Bulbs at this Kelvin range are often called "Daylight" bulbs because that's what they do: replicate sunlight.

I do think that your tank is a bit small. I prefer permanent homes of at least 2.5 gallons not because of swimming room (though that's nice and all), or heating issues (the right heater does wonders even in 1 gallon containers), but because of cycling issues.

You can't cycle a 1 gallon. You can cycle a 2 gallon but not a 1 gallon. And in uncycled tanks you have to do frequent 100% changes where you take everything out and rinse/scrub it. (though I'm sure you know this already. XD)

Daily or alternating water changes are a lot of work. It's fun at first but then it becomes a pain. I find people take better care of their cycled tanks simply because they're easier to care for than an uncycled tank is.

There's nothing wrong with a 1 gallon if you're willing to put the work in; but since a 2.5 gallon isn't really much bigger and it ends up being easier I tend to encourage people to go bigger. =]

Also a note on your heater, automatic heaters like that are notorious for claiming to keep the water temp at 76 but usually only heat it about 2-3 degrees higher than room temp. I'd make sure that there are no major fluctuations as they can wreak havok on smaller tanks.

Going back to plants though I also recommend Wysteria because it's such a great plant for taking care of nitrates and nitrites because it grows so quickly. It really cleans your water and it's SO beautiful! <3 Does your tank have a hood because Wysteria will eventually grow out of the water if I remember correctly and the leaves look cool when it does. =] Other great moderate light plants are Anacharis, Mexican Oak Leaf, Dwarf Lillies, Hornwort, and any Aponogeton species. =]

Low light plants like Anubias (bettas love them), Java Fern, and most mosses would be great as well, though those don't suck up toxins because low lights plants tend to grow slowly. They still look great though and you can get all of them at petsmart in the tubes.

If you can order online though I've seen a lot of the experienced plant owners recommend this site: Planted Aquariums Central. I've seen it said that the lady that runs the site gives extra plants for free with your order sometimes. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have mine in containers ranging from 1 gallon to 2.5 gallons. 3 have heaters but they're kept in an upstairs room that stays pretty warm.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

My tank's a 1.5... >_> And this whole "not much bigger" is actually alot bigger, considering how small my room/availble space is.. My window takes up most of my room (drafty) and the only space is my small small small smaallll (did I mention small? >.<)desk where he can go.
Idk, he's happies.
And I dont mind it. The heater doesnt really fluxuate much, and this one's the only one I found that can snap on in a pinch when the wind outside's 50mph (no joke :'c) and my room's an icebox..
Eh.
And oooh, I like that plant suggestion. It does have a lid, yes; im not sure Id be big on it over growing the tank though D:
Old 11-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #10 
TaylorW

I have a 2.5 gallon tank in my dorm on my desk, and it truly isn't that big. It's just 12 inches long, 6 inches wide, and 8 inches tall. I know about the space thing, I live in a two person dorm and share my bathroom with 30 people, but it is really not that big. My stapler is over half the length of my fish tank, if you want a size comparison. Surely you can spare a foot of space for your beloved fishy, if money is not the issue :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote