Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #1 
DormDrax

Dorm Room Betta, First Time Owner (Lot of Things)

Hello Everyone!
Would like you to meet Drax! My First Betta!

The picture was taken with my Cellphone which does Drax no justice (Will try to get much better shots later)! He is a handsome Lavender color which deepens near the top of the head. His two long Ventral fins are bright Red with white tips. His Pectoral fins have a hint of green/blue. His Dorsal, Caudal, and Anal fins first start dark blue then slowly fade from lavender, to finally an almost red edge.

Might as well explain a few things about myself...
I'm a junior in college, living in a Dorm and always stressed out to near freak out mode. Studying to become a Graphic Artist, and Artist in general (Hence my LOVE of Drax's coloration)

Yeah enough about me, sure you all want to hear about how and why I have a Betta in my Dorm Room, and my location because many of you are surely shaking your heads going. "Goodbye Drax, you have about a week..."

At my Dormitory they had a 'Fishing For Diversity'... thing which consisted of grabbing a vase and selecting many many colored rocks or spoon fulls of gravel to fill the bottom of your vase with. Each type of gravel and or Rock had a post-it under it with lines like. "I come from a Middle Class Family." or "...High Class Family.", going all the way too... "I am a native English Speaker." (Bout 30 types of .... stuff, nothing sharp or metal, just plastics).

The students who had gotten vases (Were limited) then were given a Betta. (Don't worry, I had rinsed out the vase and had rinsed off the stones and gravel, the water in the vase is Spring Water.) We were also given care sheets and a container of Betta Fish flakes. (All Free btw)

I have read over your site for the past few hours and already I feel so bad for Drax! So I already know that I should give the little guy a bigger container... Which I shall do within the next few days.

Next, The reason his colors seem so faded is he was being backlit by my DeskLamp. Reason? ... St. Louis in December. My room is near the end of the Dorm, I have the Thermostat at 90F but... it's only 60F, probably even a little less! My friend who was with me told me she used to keep Betta's at around 60F and they lived up to 3 years... but she was also from an area that 60F inside is the COLDEST it would get. Honestly I think the Temp in my room just went down again... I got a shiver.

So how would I (For the Next Few Days till I got home for the weekend) keep Drax as warm as possible! Supplies... I'm an Art Student so if you suggest something Odd that works... I probably have it haha.
Worst comes to worst I could call one of my friends who live in one of the so called 'Hot Rooms' and have her look after him.

Why do I care so much about a fish I got for Free just a few hours ago?
Because he's really my first ever pet.
When I was little, me and my brothers had fish... Goldfish, some other ones... but my parents did most if not ALL of the work.
Have a dog at home whose 15yrs old... but she's TECHNICALLY my older brothers dog.
So Drax is really MY first pet. When I got called my name and given his little container, which was VERY small compared to the vase. He didn't do much while many other fish seemed so much more vibrant, and colorful. Drax seemed dull. Was walking back to my room, a little upset I got a sad probably ill fish, I heard a splash. Was almost like night and day, already Drax has shown such a fun personality! Then later when I put the light (To keep him warm) on him I saw just how intricate his coloring was. So... could I call him a Veiled Lavender Dragon? (His Body scales are much lighter than his fins coloring)

Such As...
He likes to stare at me, and when I was surfing this site for more care info he was then looking at my laptop screen. I think he has sensitive hearing or... motion sense since my cellphone was just one vibrate and it sent him in a Frenzy when it vibrated on the table. Like a dog he follows the food I'm holding (I show it to him then slowly move it to the top of the vase and give it to him.)
Also normally I should be ripping my hair out by now from stress (Slight Exaggeration). I seem so relaxed just watching Drax lazily motor about and then dart around when something interests him. Haha he was looking around just now, looked at me for a moment now he's watching me type... Are Betta's smart fish or are all fish like this?

Bottom-line, I love animals, I love anything colorful, and I love Eastern Culture about Fighting Fish.
So I just want to know how to keep the poor little guy from getting too cold. For the next few days.
Also just to remind you that I am aware of it (I noticed it's a big buzz word) I am aware that a Vase is not 2.5 Gallons or 5 Gallons, but I'll probably fix that this weekend. At the moment he seems content, not sitting at the bottom, or hovering at the top to get the heat. Just calmly floating around the middle of the vase going up and down every now and then just curiously looking around my dorm room.

Also (If you think I write too much you should try talking to me in Real Life, I'm ever worse haha.) What do the fin orientations mean? Like with dog ears, when their popped up straight it means their alert, and when they are down and back it means their uncomfortable. So with Drax, having his fins up and out means? and down means? Seems like he can't really make up his mind which way he wants them.....

Ok just saw the oddest thing... he was yawning (Can fish yawn?) since his mouth opened alot wider then when he just... opens it for the sake of it. And two bubbles popped out of his gills when he closed his mouth, where he then darted up to the surface for air.

Anyway sorry for the small thesis on why a Nervous/Overworked/Paranoid/Artist CAN'T try to explain something in simple "My room is cold please help!" I'm a writer, got a give you all the sides, that I just sort of got Drax, quickly grew fond of him, and don't want my first (I have full Responsibilities) pet to get sick or well... be in pain.

But any... *Stops self from typing* Ok I think you have WAY More than enough info to go on...
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #2 
baylee767

When a Betta flares (poofs his fins out) He is trying to make himself look larger and tougher. Mine flare at me all the time, though it's possible their trying to show that their healthy and ready for action and food lol. When their not flared (most of the time) he's just kinda curiously looking around, resting, amost anything really.

Bettas are considered to be the smartest aquarium fish. They are the only fish who can recognize their owners. Maybe your Betta even realizes you saved him. I heard one person say that Bettas can get so attached to their owners that they become depressed if they leave on vacation for awhile!

Bettas aresome of the only aquarium fish smart enough to have indivisual personalities. For example, my Betta Neon who's in the larger tank is chilled and relaxed about things and just cruises around. My other unnamed Betta is in the smaller tank and is constantly zipping all over the place. It sounds like you have a calm Betta.

Congrats and welcome to the world of Bettas!!! (=
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:18 AM   #3 
DormDrax

Hmm... Makes sense then. Drax flares when he's looking at me after I've startled him... hopefully he'll get use to me putting stuff down near him.

*Update* Sorta... Seems my lamp (Which has one of those twisty Energy Saving bulbs so it... doesn't get too hot, just sorta warm) has been keeping the Vase water a decent temp. Probably not warm enough at all, but not 'Chilled' by any means. Least I'll sleep easier now and now wake up to a Fishy Ice Cube.

How are Betta's with Moving them around?
Currently brought the Vase up to the Dorm Lobby where it's warm (While I go outside for a smoke break... which can last an hour (Procrastinating Work). I'm no clod with handling containers but wanted to know if moving them around stresses them too much.

As for the saving thing... Awwwww ya made me get a warm feeling in my normally cold heart hahaha.
To add to this... He MUST have been raised in that little dinky cup... probably from Wallmart or Petco, Since his Top Fins and Bottom fins seem to be slightly curved to the right as well as his two spine like fins as if he had always been confined to a shallow living space.

Kinda nervous though about the possibility of leaving Drax at home (Where it would be much MUCH warmer) this weekend for a more permanent home. My mother was... less than thrilled about the idea of taking care of a fish (She's even let several of my expensive Rare Fauna (Orchids, Toad Flowers, Pitcher Plants) die while gone at school for even just a few days. Seriously how she killed the my Giant Toad Flower (Was finally about to bloom too) in a week... I'll never know... Bottomline on this... At the Dorms he gets plenty of attention... but cold. Home he gets warmth but probably 0 attention (He'd get fed but that would probably be the extent of my mothers warmth).

Getting Drax a 2 gallon tank or 2.5 ... (Somewhere in that range) is first priority though for this weekend. He's relaxed so far from what I can tell but he's constantly bumping his head into the glass as if he just wants to stretch out abit. So I feel bad that he's confined to a... 2 liter vase.

As for that Trademark of "They can live off plant Roots!" Ok I get that they eat meat but I still want to have a plant above the water with it's roots hanging around... I got several choices at home (Plants I already have living in Water filled Vases).
Several Snake Plant Stalks
Mother and Law's Tongue Stalks
Spider Plant (Sometimes called Ribbon Plants)
As well as Bamboo stalks

Would any of those be good? Or would like they kill Drax with some unknown plant bi-product that I'm unaware of?

Last edited by DormDrax; 12-01-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:26 AM   #4 
baylee767

For the tank I reccomend a large sized kritter keeper. They're usually $8-$15 and are 2.5 gallons. They also come with lids and you can buy a kritter light or undergravel filter or both seperate if you want those. I know that certain plants such as java fern, anubias, etc. would work in there because they would fit, but sorry IDK about your plants.

As for moving your Betta, does he form stress stripes afterward? How long do they last usually?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:07 AM   #5 
DormDrax

Oh? Really they are only that much? Hmm... Yeah I can invest in one (Literally the definition of Poor College Student/Starving Artist, yeah my parents help but I wouldn't want to ask them to buy stuff for my fish haha)

Heh... he must like the light since he's just swimming around the top now (Yes I'm sure he's alive!) Just hope he doesn't wear himself out doing all of that.

As for plants... eh I'll look into more.

Stress Stripes? (Has only had and know about Betta's for less than 8hrs).

Last thing, how can you tell if they are hungry? Only fed him like 2 flakes when I first got him then had to fish out several that had floated to the bottom and it made me feel unclean with those flakes just floating around Drax.

Aww he's doing the glass nudging again like a Dog wanting to go outside haha Then again I think he likes the feel of the glass... after looking at it, and nudging he swims along it in a loose spiral to the top of the vase.

Who knows maybe this is normal but your talking to someone who gets entertainment from literally watching paint dry. (Cuz... I paint... heh)

ONE LAST THING! ... I swear... is there anything to do to like interact with your Betta? Like... I dunno... Fish toys? They make stuff for Canaries so why not a fish that's probably just as smart... and quieter...
Old 12-01-2010, 04:22 AM   #6 
baylee767

IDK about fish toys but for a minute or 2 you can put a mirror in front of the glass and he can excersize his fins (flare!) Stress stripes are horizontal stripes that appear on the fishes side when it is stressed. Doesn't feed your Betta too much, they're really easy to over feed. Their stomach is only the size of their eye. Sorry I don't know the exact feeding scedule for flakes because I use pellets. I usually feed 4 pellets a day, I'd do maybe 3 flakes a day? You probably shouldn't trust me, though, because I never really researched flake feeding scedules!
Old 12-01-2010, 04:33 AM   #7 
DormDrax

Do they normally attack their food like their shredding it haha couldn't tell if he was just starving or if they just naturally attack it. Got him to eat one...

All I know is that if I can keep Drax going till Winter break (Starts December 18th and goes till about Mid January) I'll have a month of nothing to do but pamper Drax (Well... and totally get trashed with friends over the holidays *Cough*)

Hmm... he seems to yawn alot (The vase is literally a foot away from me so I can see him even when typing) maybe turn the light off and risk the cold? ....................... *Starring at Drax's fins as they get magnified from an odd curve in the vase* that... doesn't look right. Are those holes... or are those paddling fins just meant to be very feathery... God now I know how a mom feels when they think their kid has some horrible disease just because they have a cough...
Old 12-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #8 
demonicangel132007

Take it from someone who went through the Graphic Design program, I know a lot about the stress it can do to you. My now ex-boyfriend was the same way, stressed out and ready to quit until he adopted (read: stole) my friend's dwarf hamster (which technically we weren't allowed to have -shrugs-) and has been a lot more calm and much, much happier.

So I know from first hand experience that having a pet can reduce your stress BIG TIME, which might explain why I've been obsessing with wanting another pet, something that I can take care of and blah, blah, blah.

Congratulations on the new friend!
demonicangel132007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:16 AM   #9 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonicangel132007 View Post
Take it from someone who went through the Graphic Design program, I know a lot about the stress it can do to you. My now ex-boyfriend was the same way, stressed out and ready to quit until he adopted (read: stole) my friend's dwarf hamster (which technically we weren't allowed to have -shrugs-) and has been a lot more calm and much, much happier.

So I know from first hand experience that having a pet can reduce your stress BIG TIME, which might explain why I've been obsessing with wanting another pet, something that I can take care of and blah, blah, blah.

Congratulations on the new friend!
Well... I have a dog at home that we've had since I was 5, (She's 15) just she was purchased for my brother as a gift way back then so yeah he's even farther away then I am School wise but still HIS dog in a sense. Drax is mine hehe. ................. uh why is Drax's right eye like... swollen now as if it's coming out of his head? (Sick feeling) Someone please tell me that that happens sometimes and just goes away like he bumped his eye on the glass. Because seriously like... within the last few minutes...
Old 12-01-2010, 05:51 AM   #10 
DormDrax

(Twitch)
I turned the light off to maybe let him rest and even just seeing his shadow move around I can STILL see that right eye swollen. He seems... fine he ate earlier.

*Observing him out of corner of eye* FINALLY I think he's settling down to sleep.... err... getting... comfy? .... WTH is he doing? ... ugh I think the water already got cold again but I don't want to turn the light on again, it's literally like in the vase almost like a lamp shade. Maybe the brightness bothered his eye?

*Still watching Drax* Darnit! Stop swimming along the glass! That can't be good for your eye!

I'm nervous because well... I have no materials besides .... food. Like I said I got him last night at my dorms for Free. It's just the one eye so it will just go away if he rests right.... *Sweats* RIIIGHT?