Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #21 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post

Was just going to post that - ya beat me to it!!! :) My large cichlids are almost "dog smart"!!!
I just read an article where a study was done that shows that oscars have the social skills of a 3 year old human.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #22 
JKfish

Welcome to the forum DormDrax,

Drax is a really pretty multicolored vt, though from what you've said, he sounds a bit sick.

:) like everyone else is saying, big tanks are better, heaters are necessary, frequent water changes with good ol' tap water and conditioner are good (for conditioner I reccommend Prime by seachem, it only needs 2 drops per gallon, so it lasts a long time), and clean water will pretty much fix everything that's wrong (apart from possible parasites)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #23 
nomoretickets

Hey another St. Louisan! Im at msu in Springfield right now but my fam still lives in south county
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #24 
nomoretickets

As for tanks, walmart has a 5g starter kit that has the tank, hood, filter and lights for like $30. That and heater and you are set. It gives you plenty of room for your Betta, it's easier to clean and since you seem to be a plant person it is big enough to do some cool planting with (bettas LOVE live plants)
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #25 
Alex09

What you really need is
A. A heater; preferably an adjustable one (has a temp dial at top- will be the most expensive)
B. A tank. You can just use a critter keeper/plastic container. Filtration is not necessary.

If you dont have a filter, live plants would be a good idea as they absorb ammonia put out by the fish. Spider plant, pothos, arrowhead plant, lucky bamboo and peace lily will work great for this. You can also try aquatic plants but they are generally more demanding in terms of light and nutrients. The ones that arent (such as anubias and java fern) are slow growers and wont help much with water chemistry.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #26 
DormDrax

Thank you all so much for your helpful comments!

I got the Dorm... People to fix the heat issue so now my room is a Toasty 75F instead of 50F. (A power outage over Thanksgiving break messed up ALOT of peoples heaters in the dorms). I feel bad with all the moving around and stuff but I'm certain Drax will make it to Sunday... yes my friend said she would watch him while I go home (My friend who drives me home has a Race Car pretty much... with Manual and it's VERY low and jerks... Drax would be in a blender! so Sunday when my parents drop me off I'll give him to them. Their car is smoother. Got Mom interested (Pretty much Guilt-ed her) so over the weekend I shall get a tank... maybe 3gallons or so. Temp Gauge.... Other Vital stuff you all mentioned. My friend says he seemed alot better once he warmed up so maybe he's fine now...

As for the Yawning... I hope it's nothing it almost seems.... Cute.

Water changing... might not be till sunday unless my friend does it for me. I keep telling myself it's just a Bad Motel... better than where he WAS but still better... Then he'll get to the Condo hahah.

Really I think most of the issues were due to cold.

Going to get him from my friend when she's back here (She's out).

I'll take better pics when I get him back.

He might not be in the best home now... but least I have Love for him... hope he knows it.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #27 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
What you really need is
A. A heater; preferably an adjustable one (has a temp dial at top- will be the most expensive)
B. A tank. You can just use a critter keeper/plastic container. Filtration is not necessary.

If you dont have a filter, live plants would be a good idea as they absorb ammonia put out by the fish. Spider plant, pothos, arrowhead plant, lucky bamboo and peace lily will work great for this. You can also try aquatic plants but they are generally more demanding in terms of light and nutrients. The ones that arent (such as anubias and java fern) are slow growers and wont help much with water chemistry.

Just read about the Spider plants being mentioned... (Missed it earlier) It's settled then haha... Drax's new home will be a 5G tank furnished with colored stones (Smooth I have a collection, just glass not metal) Floating Spider plants (I'll anchor them alittle so they won't sink if Drax yanks on them) Several Bamboo stalks... it's going to be a little forest for him! No don't bother... I won't SMOTHER him with plants... maybe one stalk in each corner, few baby Spider Plants along a few sides, and one bigger one floating down from the center :3

Oooh wonder if I can get my hands on a Bladder Wort! (Water Plants that eat small insects) which would probably keep alot of unwanted pests out.

Last edited by DormDrax; 12-01-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #28 
TaylorW

Hehe, I bet Drax would enjoy eating those small bugs himself! XD

I have to suggest Java ferns as plants though, cause even if they grow slowly in dorm conditions, they won't die on you! Yes, they might not help the water all that much, but they will help a little and there's nothing to be concerned about if you change your water frequently.

I don't exactly have a green thumb (managed to kill a supposedly hardy marimo ball >_<) and my ferns are doing great in my dorm! :)

If you change the water 100% once every three days, your betta will be fine in a 3 gallon, live plants or not.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #29 
DormDrax

... kinda waiting on my friend to get back and tell me to pick up Drax... I want to see him! haha Searched in my room (Like I said... Heater fixed so room is toasty at 75F now) for the warmest spot on a Shelf (A Wide one no chance of falls) And surrounded it with little pretty things like Art I made and a Big Green Glass Emerald I have, Dragon statue... haha all stuff I may put in the final tank. Though the Emerald has a sharp point... On it's side might be cool then it's just Facets which aren't sharp. I'm going to make his home so colorful!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #30 
TaylorW

Post pics when you get it all set up!! I want to see it, and I'm sure everyone else wants to see your tank too!! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote