Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #21 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
You can buy java ferns at petco. They sell them in the tubes as 'tropica fern'. I bought 2 and both are still alive a few months later. I dont even keep a light on over my tank, just leave my shutters open and bring in indirect sunlight.
Well I don't like going to petco anymore really..the one by me is horrible. The plants are COVERED in algae, marimo moss looks awful and splotchy, the fish are dying, and that's where I got my last plants from...they melted in one day because they were already rotting apparently and killed my DTPK red dragon. I refuse to do business with them. Lol
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #22 
Tsuhei

Update:

AHHHHHHHHHH!!! (good scream xD)

Astaire is once again doing what he was named for: DANCING!!

Up until now, looking at another fish or reflection, he hasn't been flaring and becoming super aggressive like he used to and then shake and swim backwards and blow bubbles...he's finally doing it again!! HOORAY! (and his fins made a dramatic recovery!!

Unfortunately for Stamps, his progress is getting worse D:! Hopefully he perks up within a week!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #23 
danifacetastic

Hmm I have all kinds of plastic and silk plants in my take and I only had a problem with a fake dino skull.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #24 
Tsuhei

Well after doing a water change today, he got a new tear in his finnage..and it really does look like tailbiting. I don't know what to do with this guy..apparently changing his water upsets him now too -_-
Old 12-11-2010, 03:08 AM   #25 
ilovebunnies

Petsmart does sell java ferns in the tubes and I think you can get different sizes. They are snail free! My betta loves to be lazy and lays on his java fern!

If you want live plants for better water quality, you are better off getting plants that grow fast. There are floater plants such as duck weed or stem plants. Look up threads by OldFishyLady she had a good list!

Right now I have pothos stem cuttings in my betta's home. It's terrestrial but will root in water and suck up the nutrients. I am letting them root in the water and I keep the leaves out of the tank (so the plant won't rot). Another member used suction holders to keep this plant in place. Might be an option if you are nervous about keeping fully submerged plants in your tanks. My betta even blew his first bubble nest by the stems when I added it ;D
Oh, and pothos is a houseplant so you can find them at just about every garden center and pinch off around five inches of vine with some leaves on that piece.

All you would have to do is supply a full daylight spectrum light to these plants and they shouldn't rot.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:30 AM   #26 
Waterbottle2

you can buy them in lil plastic tubes so no snails and marimos are easy just turn them every week turn em over
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote