Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #1 
FuulieQ

Left fish in parent's care, and...

They WAY overfed him. He's very bloated. -_-

Right now, I'm fasting him and trying to find my aquarium salt. I don't see any pineconing and they've only had him for a week and a half, so hopefully no lasting damage is done... argh. How did they do this if they followed my directions?

I've heard bloodworms are good for getting things.... moving, is that true? I put his mirror up for a couple seconds thinking some activity might help him. He went after it vigorously. Color is pretty good, although he's obviously uncomfortable.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would recommend feeding him some daphnia.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Water changes and fast for a couple of days keeping the temp at least 78F...if after a couple of days you don't see improvement I would do an Epsom salt 1tsp/gal treatment (Not aquarium salt) along with 100% daily water changes for at least 5 days and no longer than 10days....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #4 
FuulieQ

Alright, so fasting him for 3 days sounds like a good idea? His water's always low 80's, so that should be fine. I'll go get some daphnia. How do you feed daphnia, anyway?! Aren't they very small?

I'll give him a water change once I get back upstairs. He's due for one, anyway.

Doing 100% water changes on a fully planted tank would be really difficult... I hope he clears himself up before then. :l He's never been constipated before.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't do 100% water changes on your planted tank-Epsom salt won't hurt the plants- but I would still QT for treatments if it come to that, fast and 50% water only change is what I would try first....
Old 11-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #6 
FuulieQ

Good! That's what I did last night. I'm giving him one or two more days before I start the epsom salts. So far, he looks basically the same. No scales sticking out, not patches, no fungus. Just a giant belly. I haven't checked on him yet this afternoon... maybe there will be a miracle? :/ He was so healthy before I left... aargh.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #7 
FuulieQ

Question, is there a specific kind of epsom salt I'll need?
Old 11-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Magnesium sulfate is all Epsom salt is....nothing special that I am aware of-I have never seen it with any other additives.......I get mine at the pharmacy dept at walmart......
Old 11-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #9 
FuulieQ

Really? I thought it was a common additive when people take baths. D: Derp derp

Well, he still hasn't unstopped himself so it looks like it's time for a hospital tank and some salt. I went to the local fish store, but they didn't have daphnia. I'll go to another tomorrow. I hope he can wait that long. He's a bit sluggish and uncomfortable looking, he just looks sad. Color's still good, though.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

You are correct...Epsom salt is a common additive for bath water and plant food...but I think when it is used or added to products for other uses it is labeled different.......

You usually can't find Epsom salt in fish shops........