Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #1 
camerafreak

Ghost shrimp?

I hope to be getting my new betta in the mail sometime soon but I was wondering if I could get a pair (or just even one) ghost shrimp to live with him. I have had ghost shrimp before but for some reason they kept disappearing. My tank will be about 4-5 gallons (I have to measure it out tomorrow) and will have pleanty of hiding spots for them. I am just wondering if 5ish gallons would be enough? Also what do I feed them since I'll be feeding my betta pellets. I used to have them in a tank with a gold fish and fed my gold fish flakes so they would just eat the flakes.
camerafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #2 
baylee767

Lol you'll definatly be fine. Unless your Betta's hungry and spots them...

They'll eat algae and whatever a fish eats.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #3 
shinybetta

Ghost shrimp are not algea eaters. They are carnivores and will eat betta pellets. Live food is appreceated as well.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #4 
Crazykat

Make sure you get real ghost shrimp. Two of the stores I've been to recently have been selling Chinese Algae eaters as ghost shrimp. Those will not go well with a betta.
Ghost shrimp eat pretty much anything but algae. Mine eat fish poop, fish food (they're supposed to only eat the sinking pellets, but they steal my betta's food too), and bloodworms. Believe me, you have not seen wierd until you've seen a ghost shrimp cruising around with half a bloodworm hanging out of its chest. XD
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:04 AM   #5 
camerafreak

So is this a ghost shrimp? That's what they have at petco. How many can I get if I have a 5 gallon tank? My girlfriend had a few in a tank with her 3 or 4 inch long goldfish and they never lasted more than a day. I hope my betta doesn't get too hungry and try to snack on them lol.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #6 
shinybetta

Correct! My large ghost shrimp fend well against curios fish. My largest is almost the size of my betta! Get more than you want, because they often die because of the stress of shipping.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #7 
MoePaac

My ghost shrimp eat algae every now and then. I know this because i can see green in their stomach and digestive track. It isn't their primary food source, but it happens. I drop a sinking pellet every now and then for them. They certainly appreciate it!
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #8 
shinybetta

Are you sure that green isn't a females saddle? The saddle is the eggs in a female and it is green. They do eat algea occasionally, but it shouldn't be their main diet.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #9 
camerafreak

Well if I get them from petco will I still need to get more than I want? Does it matter how many you have in so many gallons? Do they effect the water negatively if I have to many? About females... Will the babies get eaten or sucked up by my filter? I was going to look to get a pregnant female when I went to petco. I don't want all my babies dying!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #10 
shinybetta

Ghost shrimp babies are challenging to raise. In an old, well established tank with a lot of microscopic organism's a few will make it. I wouldn't bother breeding unless you set them up by themselves. However, the babies make great betta snacks! Ghost shrimp have very little bio-load. So, in 4-5 gallons you could have 6-7, if you have lots of hiding spaces and you feed them well.