Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #11 
Feral

Not Petco/Petsmart, but Walmart is selling some ridiculously small CT's- the VTs seem pretty well grown...
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #12 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
Not Petco/Petsmart, but Walmart is selling some ridiculously small CT's- the VTs seem pretty well grown...
I got one! He is so small I should have only had to pay 1/2 price LOL
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #13 
Lion Mom

As long as they can eat regular food, is there a problem? At least you know you aren't purchasing an OLD betta.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #14 
metalbetta

Mew was TINY when I brought her home from Petco in September. The other females there were just babies too! She was so tiny that I had to crush her pellets to feed her. I was terrified of putting her in the sorority. So I waited... and waited... thankfully she's now close to her full adult size. I think. lol

As for problems, the only issue I had was feeding. Otherwise it was great to watch her grow!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #15 
nomoretickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
As long as they can eat regular food, is there a problem? At least you know you aren't purchasing an OLD betta.
The one we got was too young for regular food at first. We had to wait for her to double in size before she could eat regular food
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #16 
DormDrax

... How can you tell if you have an old Betta? Girl who was involved with the giving out of the Betta's (See my Thread in Betta Care called 'Dorm Room Drax') and she called herself a Betta Mom and said Drax was probably 6months to a year old already... Is that ... good? Bad? Ok?
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #17 
nomoretickets

betta age is generally determined by size, brightness of colors, and fin development. the age she gave you is probably about right, and is fairly normal for bettas you get from stores. older bettas will loose some of the luster of their color and become sluggish, but these same things also occur in young bettas if they are stressed or sick so its not a perfect indicator
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #18 
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Not a problem really, except even the Tetra mini betta balls were too big for them (not that it mattered, they weren't interested) and rewarding in a way because my senior guy whom I've had for six months is literally almost twice the size he was when I got him. Just unreal how he's bulked up- looks like he's been on steroids!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:17 AM   #19 
TharBePirates

I gotta say, I got Ariel at Petco and she was just barely an inch, and it's been fun to watch her grow. She's doubled in size, and come to find out she's a pink iridescent dalmatian as her little red spots are coming in on her fins. Her food used to have to be crushed, but she can nom with the best of them now.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #20 
MrVampire181

It might be a good thing though....after all they're younger and live longer...but if you stick them in a bowl it's not going to happen. They require a warm temp, and a humid enviorment...all my tanks are covered in plastic wrap.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote