Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Hornwort is a floating plant and it will not root-I would take the end out of the substrate so it doesn't rot....its a great plant sometimes.....it does tend to drop its needles when its not happy....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #12 
jessiepbg

Oppsies. I got the hornwort pulled out of the substrate. I was sort to hoping it would hang out next to my heater, but it got hauled up next to my filter shortly after I moved it. Thanks for the warning!
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

One thing you can do with hornwort and this is what I do...I will drape it around a rock or driftwood so it appears to be planted.....kinda hook it on something in the tank...it is a really fast grower and great at helping to keep ammonia under control.....
Old 12-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #14 
jessiepbg

I've got it kind of run through one of my columns right now. I'll poke at it and see what I can get it to do later tonight. I'm going to call the company about that filter tonight, I had to turn it off last night because I couldn't sleep with the noise. Do you have any suggestions on getting that fixed or should I just think about replacing it?
Old 12-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes when you have a new noise coming from the filter....something may be in the housing impeller area-snail, sand, gravel...etc.....I tear mine apart all the time and clean them up/out when I get odd/loud noises...nearly always a snail in my case....lol......I had a hair bind one up once too....on my aqua clear filters I had to use a bit of 3 in1 oil on occasion.......if you can look and see if you can get to the housing/impeller.....and check it out....may be an easy fix.....
Old 12-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #16 
jessiepbg

Ok, I got him put in there, I floated him for 10 minutes in a bag with his old water, then I poured 50% out and replaced it with the new tank water. I let him float like that for another 10 mins. Now he's in the tank, and he's zipping around, but he looks like he's breathing really heavy. His ammonia's a little under .25ppm and the nitrates are about the same. Is this anything to worry about or is he just getting used to his new tank?
Old 12-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

I would do a 50% water only change and try and get ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm....anytime your fish appears to be in distress-check your water temp and make a water only change......

Did you get your filter fixed or figure out what was wrong?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #18 
jessiepbg

I think it vibrated itself into place yesterday. I left Friday morning and it sounded like a lawn mower caught in a vacuum cleaner, but I got back last night and it was just a low hum.
He's calmed down now, I'll do a 50% change in the morning. I'm not going to get back home until late tonight.