Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #1 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Wow, a pet store employee actually knew about bettas!

So there i was, at the store, looking for freeze dried bloodworms for the new guy, and i overheard some old guy asking about bettas, and the clerk actually knew his ****. So much so that i doubted the myth that employees knwo nothing. He was like a fish guru XD

So anyone else have any pet store stories?
Lenalee Nilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

On rare occasions you will find pet shop employees that have knowledge, however, often they are restricted by company policy/rules on what they can and can not say....the goal is to sell, sell, sell and make money for the company...even the knowledgeable employees have to give bad/wrong advice if they want to keep their job...pretty sad when money and profit is more important than the right thing.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #3 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Well there was a story somewhere where this guy said at his petco there was a fish guru who knew EVERYTHING about the fish they had and would always give advice on what to buy and what not to buy.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #4 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

One time at a petco, yes a PETCO, there was this guy, who I thought was younger than me, but was probably my age (at the time 18) and he knew everything. he told me what not to put in my community tank, why not. knew what fish were actually marked wrong. .ect.

A close friend of mine that I worked with, had worked at a pet store previously. She really knows her stuff. She knows about alll kinds of fish too. So she would have given honest advice.
Her parents bred angelfish, discus.. and something else. and so she grew up with a gazillion fishtanks.

she is wanting to open her own store, and had the plans started, then her boyfriend got cancer and it was put on the back burner. so sad.
she will have an amazing fish store someday.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #5 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Aw bummer, though when it comes to diseases its best not to bring them up too much, insanely opinionated on sicknesses and life.

But hey, at least she has more motivation to start a shop right?
Old 10-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #6 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Oh of course, and yes, she has some motivation. She is quite lucky, a lot of people have donated tanks to her.
We don't have any honest&clean non-chain store fish or pet stores here. so it'd be nice if we had one in the area.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Nice! I don't seem to find any here...even when I went to Big Al's (fish store), the employee that helped me was a bit...um...yeah.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #8 
cballas

Sadly ... NO.... I've had some who are honest when they can't answer a question,
and admit they are new & need to learn more. I respect those who try, the only stupid question
is one not asked.

The worst are the "know it all" boss types that get off on what scrap of power they have, and gave totally WRONG advice...

I'm like, "Um, no, you can't have just 2 females together in a 1G bowl sir...Quit telling
the customers this.." I know he told the employees to push the females he ordered,
because the next time they all were mimicking the "females can be together no worries" angle. LoL

Then there was the one who said it's "the wrong bacteria" that appears when you fishless cycle a tank w/ cocktail shrimp, and advocated using "hardy danios"... *sigh* All about the $$$$$ these people...

Last edited by cballas; 11-01-2010 at 04:40 PM.
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #9 
zelilaa

hee hee! the guy who said there was an amazing fish guy at their store... that might have been me!
i have the best manager at my petco. he came from north carolina. This guy is crazy informed about fish, he's so cool :D hes very nice and respectful and helpful.
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #10 
JKfish

All the LFS people at my store are hopelessly misinformed :p
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote