Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #1 
danifacetastic

Too Much Water Disruption

I have 3 bettas in a divided ten gallon tank. I have a baffle on my filter which splits the water in two directions. One of the sides of water flows into the left compartment and one flows right along the divider so it goes into the middle section enough to get water flowing but not disturbing the top so much so he can still make nests. Obviously I don't have a problem on the right section. The flow of water in the left section however doesn't bother the fish that's in there but if he ever tried to make a nest I'd never be able to see it. What can I do?

Also the right section....gets some water movement but apparantly not enough because there's some chalky residue on the water....
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #2 
MoePaac

While I don't have direct experience with divided tanks I saw this did not have any replies and wanted to throw out some ideas...

It may be one of those things you just have to play around with until you get something that works for your liking and set up. I'm not a huge fan of the water bottle as a baffler, but you may want to experiment with putting the filter in the middle and taking a water bottle with both ends cut off. This way the water flows to each side of the tank and is then sucked back into the filter from the middle. This way each section has some water movement. Maybe a combination between the water somehow flowing into the two outside sections, and stuffed with some sponge, and you'll have gentle enough water flow?

If this doesn't make any sense I can try and explain a little clearer.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #3 
danifacetastic

It makes sense but my filter won't go in the middle because of how the hood is.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote