Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #1 
crowntail lover

3 new males coming in! 10g set up.. What to add, what to add?

Heyo!
So I will be getting 5 new Bettas in next week sometime..
3 males- 2 HMPK (yellow dragon full masked+red dragon full masked) and 1 Super Delta (blue butterfly) and 2 female HM(red/blue/green butterfly+white and blue marble). Well I already have a community tank for the girls..So all I need now is a new set up for the guys.

I am going to divide the 10g into three sections. This is my first time doing so..I have always divided into two sections.. so I need a few pointers from the ones who have had this type of set up.
1.What type of heating method works best?
2. How many filters would I need to keep the water flowing through all sections?

Also.. do you guys have an opinion on how I should set up each section? (plants, and decor)
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #2 
Astro277

Im my males tanks i have 2-3 plants and one hide (cave like hand made things)

The heating and filter are both in one side of the divided tank by themselves. I do this to prevent too much current flow for the betta that would of been stuck with the filter

Make sure you measure it out too. I would do 3 dividers spaced 5 inches apart
Astro277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

Thanks. :). I'll probably go with a bit more plants (live) to help block the view of the boys next door neighbor. I also might add floating plants in each section.
I was also thinking about putting a little hamster plastic tunnel in along with another decor. My mollies love those! Lol
Old 12-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #4 
nomoretickets

a coffee mug in each would be nice (i just snag 'em from the dining hall here when i need em) they work great as caves and wont damage fins
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #5 
danifacetastic

I have a ten gallon divided in three. I didnt use aquarium dividers...I used plastic craft mesh with super small holes and report cover bindings. It works great because the water flows through but it's barely see through so my boys don't see each other. I have a 25 watt heater in the middle section and it keeps the water between 72-78 at all times (it gets a lil colder when the light is out). I have a hang on back filter on the left section and I've created a filter baffle out of a plastic water bottle so the water goes into the left section and along the divider so it goes into the middle section. I did have an air stone in the right section because my betta didn't like it but the filter provides enough circulation. The top of the water gets a little cloudy but it's no big deal and the boys in the middle and right can make nests...sadly the boy with the filter in his section can't make nests. I'm going to get aquarium sponge when i can. The setup works great for me though and I used leftover plastic canvas strips to cover the space on the hood that I had to tear out for the filter and airstone.

If you want to see my tank the pictures are in this post....the decor is a lil different now and I've taken out the airstone and put black electrical tape on the tank as seen in the next post.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...present-55575/

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...my-boys-56566/

Last edited by danifacetastic; 12-02-2010 at 08:36 AM.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

Thats kool how you made those dividers.. But I already have two.. :] Oh and your links didnt work.. lol.
Also. Do you think a large filter will help circulate the water flow better than a medium size?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #7 
danifacetastic

I just have a filter made for a 5-15 gallon tank. They don't need a lot of water circulation. My bettas hate a lot of water movement. To make the dividers you just stick the mesh in there and measure what you need to cut off...cut it off and then take the bindings off the report covers an slide them on the side. You'll want to put the dividers in before the gravel for stability and make the water level an inch or two below the divider so they won't jump.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #8 
danifacetastic

Weird...the links work on my end.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #9 
crowntail lover

The thing I am worried about is haveing that white looking film out the top of the water because of the filtered water not being able to flow through the dividers.
And I think its because I dont have an account on that web site..
Old 12-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #10 
danifacetastic

The links are for this website. And you could use an air stone...when I had the filter flowing on both sides of the divider into the left and center sections and a small airstone in the right I didn't get the buildup although I couldn't see bubblenests so I took the airstone out and baffled the flow slightly more...still cant see nests in the left section but I do get a slight buildup but if you don't care about seeing bubblenests it's no problem.