Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #1 
jessiepbg

How Do You All Get Such Awesome Photos/Is it Okay to Use Flash?

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to get such nice pictures of my Betta. My profile pic on the left is about the best I've been able to do, clearness-wise and even that I had to brighten up with photoshop. I even tried taking him into the kitchen where we have a fairly bright light and light countertops to get a better pic of him in his little cup, but I still couldn't get much. Is my room/house just too dark? I haven't tried taking a picture with the window open on a sunny day, since we haven't had many of those lately. Would it be okay to use a flash on him or would that be too much stress?
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #2 
eclover09

I never like to use flash, just cause my fishes always seem to spazz and look dazed when I do, though I don't know if it actually hurts them.

On your camera, you should have a option that's like a little flower (macro), and that will help the clarity. Also, never zoom in your camera, it makes it just look fuzzy, at least on my camera it does. Always just move the camera in close. I've tried artificial light, but just never looks as good as good ole' sunlight. I usually just open the blind so the sun hits the tank for a bit and take some pictures.

It also takes a lot of patience lol
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #3 
Juneii

my fish doesn't really react to the flash but I avoid it anyway because it washes out much of his color. eclover is right, use macro it will make the photos come out more clear when you can focus on one particular object. Also, I forgot what it is called but you can adjust how much light is let into the lens, exposure? adjust the exposure so more light can come in but you need to hold the camera still for longer because it takes a bit for more light to come in if that makes sense :)
Juneii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #4 
AngelicScars

I hate flash, like always. The tank lighting is usually enough, and natural lighting is awesome as well.
It also depends on your camera.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #5 
jessiepbg

Thanks for all the tips! He's right next to my window, so if it's not too dreary out tomorrow, I'm going to see what kind of lighting I can get just by leaving that open. I don't have my camera up here right now, I'll see if I can find that macro thing when I try tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:14 AM   #6 
TRISHIESfishie

I do use flash because one tanks doesn't have a light. It doesn't seem to bother mine. I use macro (the flower icon) and slow synch. My pics may not be great compared some but I am getting better.
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #7 
jessiepbg

Yay, I think I've got it figured out, or started, at least. They're not book-quality photos, but they don't look like colorful blobs anymore.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #8 
fleetfish

A rule to live by is to be very, VERY patient! sometimes I take dozens of pics of the same fish and only two or three turn out. :D

Awww Jessie he's quite the looker! I love his splotches.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote