Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #1 
ashleyy

Dropped my new betta. :[

I got a betta today from Petco and what do I do?

I tried to scoop him out of the container with my hand. Of course he flops out of my hand. I try to pick him up and of course he keeps falling out of my hand all over the carpet, until I finally get him in there. :[

I can't believe I let that happen. And I can't believe that he is now swimming in a S motion. He swims to the top for air easily, but not so much straight across.

I also caught him laying down on the gravel breathing heavy. Ugh. I can't believe myself. GRrr.

What should I do other that giving him time and lowering the water level?
He's in a 3 gallon at 78 degrees.
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #2 
Bettame

I hope that your fish is okay tomorrow. Hopefully it will make it. If not, I hear Petco has like a 15 day return policy or something just in case something happens to the fish.
Bettame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #3 
ashleyy

Thanks. :/ I just feel so bad because he was the only one for was begging for my attention. I bring him home and that happens. geez.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #4 
TheSecondOne

ashleyy, I think your betta should be fine. The reason he's swimming in an S-pattern is because his pectoral fins may have dried out a bit after touching your carpet. So he's using the S-swimming to compensate. As for the heavy breathing, I guess it's natural after he's been through the fright of rolling on the carpet.
TheSecondOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #5 
ashleyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondOne View Post
ashleyy, I think your betta should be fine. The reason he's swimming in an S-pattern is because his pectoral fins may have dried out a bit after touching your carpet. So he's using the S-swimming to compensate. As for the heavy breathing, I guess it's natural after he's been through the fright of rolling on the carpet.
At first I thought this but he is still acting the same about 6 hours later. :/
Old 12-02-2010, 01:13 AM   #6 
DormDrax

You should have seen Drax when it started to get REALLY cold in my room the first night I was so nervous it was harming him. Now he's VERY active and acting just adorable playing with the bubbles he's been making at the top of the vase. So they seem to bounce back really quick. Just give him a day.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:36 AM   #7 
baylee767

Maybe he was messed up in the cup in shape? For now if I were you I'd make sure the water was plenty clean and warm, and as some one told me when I dropped Velvet, just a pinch of AQ salt to help with the stress. There is a possibility that he could have been injured, though ]=

If he's okay by the morning than you might not have to worry. Only time can tell I guess.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote