Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #1 
celine18

Post 10 gallon filter

so i've been wondering what kind of filters does everyone use in their 10 gallon betta homes??? pros, cons, if it's baffled, filter media (besides what came with it), how well do you like it??? (just curious, and it could be very educational to have betta-based filter opinions)

in my 10 gallon i have a whisper 10i. the tank currently only houses cories until i can finish getting it planted and the cories have proven themselves to be disease free. i do love how it barely moves the water surface, but that causes oil to build up. i also feel like it doesn't circulate water around the tank well, and i think the opposite corner might be a dead spot. i do have a sponge on the intake, but i might take that off and replace with a piece of cotton, to maybe increase the flow. it also takes up a lot of room in the corner of the tank. overall, i love/hate it. love the little water movement for my bettas sake, but hate the lack of flow for my plants sake.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #2 
akjadestar

I have the Penguin Bio Wheel 100, I just got some media that came with it on Kijiji so I don't really know what kind it is
PROS:
Keeps the tank nice and clean, the flow isn't too strong

CONS:
SUPER LOUD! Even if you raise the water level like a centimeter from the top it still makes the loudest splashing noises and also it randomly can start making buzzing noises so loud it can wake me right up at night, and then I can't fall back asleep!
I want to replace it soon with the Aqueon Power Filter...
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #3 
celine18

oh yea, i had the penguin 100 first also. it was really powerful! and extremely noisy! and there was a water spray a foot out, lol. i returned it for my whisper.

i just looked up the aqueon, it has a bunch of mixed reviews...but all filters do, i suppose.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #4 
danifacetastic

Idk what the name of mine is but it came with the 10 gallon starter kit at Walmart and it's for 5-15 gallon tanks. I have it baffled with a plastic bottle and it's in the left section of my tank that's divided in three. The water coming out on the right into the middle section kind of gets to the opposite side of the tank but I do get buildup but at least I can see the bubblenests. Where the water comes out into the left section though it's not strong enough for my betta but it's strong enough to where he can't make bubble nests so I don't know what to do. It's not that loud with the baffle on though. I hardly ever hear it.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #5 
celine18

aww, your poor betta, being kept from making his bubble nests!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #6 
danifacetastic

I can't think of what I could possibly do to help.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #7 
celine18

you could always try adding on a sponge, see if that slows it down a bit

edit: oh hai! i just noticed you're in nc too!!! lol that's so cool. where're you? i'm in raleigh.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #8 
danifacetastic

I'll have to try the sponge thing when I can finally find some. I"m from the mountains...kind of near App University.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #9 
celine18

ohhh, so you're gonna get snowed on this weekend :P

i think you should be able to find a sponge pretty much anywhere. i hope it helps!

oh! also, back to the thread topic, i'm thinking of going to an aquaclear 20 filter. anyone have opinions on this one?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #10 
danifacetastic

Yeah we're supposed to get snow from Saturday-Wednesday haha. I'm going snowboarding tomorrow :)

Tags
filter