Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #1 
SemioticSleep

Smile Feeding Your Betta Fleas!

That's right fleas!!! Betta naturally have an upturned mouth to catch unsuspecting bugs in the water. So while playing with my aunts dog I saw a flea and threw it into her tank and one of the fish ate it, So I looked for another one and again the fish ate it. So then I went home grabbed my dog and looked for fleas, found one and threw it in there MY BETTA LOVED IT! So I was wondering if anyone besides me does this? It really can't harm them after all I've been doing this for a while :D Ehhh since last february but I only do it once in a blue moon
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #2 
SemioticSleep

They have also eaten clumsy flies that have fallen into their tank and those small roaches ewww! That would somehow end up in their tank 0.o guess even they get thirsty too.
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

My biggest worry with fleas would be any flea product on the animal/pet or house...like flea spray, flea collars, spot on treatment...etc......but other than that a bug is a bug.......you would think a fish would know if it was safe to eat as far as digestion goes not poison related.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #4 
TaylorW

I would be worried about the parasites. Dogs get lots of illnesses from flea bites, and I'm sure the stuff they carry could make your betta sick.

Bettas can get diseases and parasites from mosquito larvae, so I bet they can get stuff from fleas... I don't know, but I'm not sure I would trust the blood from my aunt's dog to be clean enough for my fish to eat XD
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #5 
Rain Drop

I too would be worried about the diseases that fleas can carry. Just like TaylorW said, they can harm cats and dogs, so they can harm your fish too! Plus if you're treating your furry pet for flea infestation, the flea would contain poison which I'm sure is even worse for your betta!

So tl;dr

Don't risk it, no matter how amusing it is.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #6 
Juneii

Agreeing with everyone else, you wouldn't pick up a sandwich lying on the sidewalk and eat it, I wouldn't feed my betta bugs with possible diseases.
Juneii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #7 
ilovebunnies

My betta ate a little spider one time. Sometimes, I give my betta a little black ant, he loves them. Gobbles them up like a shark. ;D
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't feed my fish fleas but only because I spot treat with "Frontline" all my animals (29 cat and 5 dogs) every month and put flea powder on my carpet...but I have been feeding mass amount of mosquito larva, daphnia, seed shrimp, maggots and what ever else appears out in my water buckets for over 20 years and have yet to have any problems related to live foods I grow and culture.........the enzymes in the fish gut should take care of most problems as long as the fish was in good health to start......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #9 
Alex09

Yes many bacteria and viruses are not usually able to infect other species. A bacteria/virus that may be harmful to a dog can be ineffective on a fish, human, bird etc... You do occasionally get a cross-species problem (swine flu, bird flu...) but its not common.

I would be more worried about residue of shampoo and flea killing products.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #10 
scootshoot

I feed my betta spiders, he loves em.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta food bugs fleas