Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #1 
baylee767

Question How do I remove my Betta from a container?

I need to catch my Betta and so far I've been using a net. I know it's bad for them, so I'm trying to find an alternative. I can't use a cup because they both dart away really fast (also, than I'd be transfering dirty water) So how can I transfer them? Or should I continue the net?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #2 
TaylorW

I get two cups an a net. I put the cup behind my betta and dip it in the water quickly to "suck him up". Then I place the net on top of the second cup and use it like a strainer. I pour the water from the first cup into the second cup through the net. The net catches the betta, the dirty water is in the cup, and I just place my fish in the tank and dump the old water out! :D

I quit chasing my betta down with the net when I accidentally damaged his fins while trying to catch him!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:42 AM   #3 
nomoretickets

I usually just submerge the cup and wait a bit until the fish is infringe of it, then I put my hand up against the glass quickly so they back into the cup and I pull em out, though a few of my boys just find my hand fascinating so I have to net em
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #4 
baylee767

nomoretickets: Lol I'd just be too afraid to hold him because most likely he would wiggle free and hit the ground. If netting him is safe, I'll continue doing that because it isn't too hard to catch him.

Is netting him okay?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:32 AM   #5 
Juneii

huh, I use a net when I can't catch Neptune in his bowl. The shape is odd and it's easier with a net. If he struggles I just gently pinch the top so if he tries to jump out he can't. I feel so bad every time I do this though so I try to stretch the times in between doing 100% changes.
Juneii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:48 AM   #6 
Neelie

i use a net too. its better to catch em fast than stress them out trying to cup them for minutes. i've been using a net for years and never had issues
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #7 
DormDrax

Thats how I learned that Drax just needs a bigger tank... tried to contain him in a cup and her just rocketed away like someone added Nitro to him haha. I can tell once I get him a big tank he's going to be doing alot of darting. Finally did though get him... he didn't try to jump.

Though as I've said in other posts... some people at the Dorms have said their fish have 'Committed Suicide' which just sounds stupid.... Sounds more like. "You shouldn't have been given a fish you unloving dummies!"

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-05-2010 at 10:27 AM.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #8 
danifacetastic

What kind of tank do you have? Is it small enough that it requires 100% water changes?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #9 
TheSecondOne

Using a net should be okay as long as the netting material is soft. But wouldn't it be easier to siphon the dirty water out with the fish still inside the tank? That'll cause so much less stress to the fish and allow you to effectively remove the fish poop that lay at the bottom.
TheSecondOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #10 
JKfish

I typically like to use the cup with my bettas, and they're pretty okay with that. Once I get them in the cup and when I'm about to transfer them back, I use a turkey baster to suck out most of the water, leaving just about an inch or two, nothing much. The cup is small, so really there isn't much water in there at all compared to a tank, and then I let them out.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote