Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #1 
Red and Bob

temperature help!

Is 85* too hot to put my sick betta into? He's never had a heater, but his water has been warm from the light (not 85* though I dont think). I cannot adjust the heater anymore and the temp is staying at 85*. I must have bought the wrong heater but some one suggested to buy the 50watt so I did! ahhh. My betta has Ich. I've already put the salt in the new tank and set up every thing but I need to know if its okay to put him in the water at that temperature. Please help!
Red and Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #2 
bettafish15

I think if you acclimate him VERRRYYY slowly, it could work, 85*F is like the maximum of the maximum. How big is the tank? I think 50W is for 10g's.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #3 
Red and Bob

My tank is only 5 gal. D= How would i acclimate him to it?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #4 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Do you still have his cup he came in? you can float the cup with him in it, in his new tank for awhile, slowly.. SLOWLY adding water from his tank into the cup.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #5 
Red and Bob

hmmm I got him about four years ago. So I dont still have the cup but I can find some thing to put him in.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

You are sure the thermometer is correct-if so, unplug the heater and get a zip-lock bag and put a few ice cubes in it and place in the tank until the temp is equal to the water temp he is in and then plug the heater back in...or better yet...take it back and get a 25w heater

You have to be careful with sudden high temp with an already compromised fish or you can end up with an even sicker fish

Although, 85-86F is what you want to speed up the life cycle of the parasite..it may not be the best for the fish at this point since he is already weak to start

You can also do a two cup method in mild cases of ich-with or without aquarium salt 1-2tsp/gal-use two cup and change from cup to cup each day-dump the old cup and fill with fresh dechlorinated water before transfer each day-continue this for at least 3 days past the last day you could see the parasite on the fish.

About how many white dots are on the fish and what part of the body can you see them, how is he eating......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #7 
Red and Bob

He has white dots all over his body and tail. He is eating fine.

So you're saying I shouldn't try to acclimate him to the water?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

You do want to acclimate regardless to not just temp but other things in the water that changes over time by adding small amount of water from the tank you plan to put him

What I am saying is that you may want to lower your water temp first

If he is covered with parasites it is important to start treatment right away...bad cases can be fatal especially with weak and/or old fish...but you also have to weigh cause and effect....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #9 
CrankyFish84

Wait...What do you mean you can't adjust it anymore? If it's not changing temp (up or down), then definitely take it back & get a refund or trade for a 25W in a different brand.
I think most come with a warranty for up to a year at least...
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #10 
Red and Bob

I acclimated my betta to the water over the time of a few hours. He seems fine and happy in the new heated tank. Even though its 85*. I think he likes the warmth. When he was in the cup getting use to the water it looked like some of the ich had fallen off and gone to the bottom of the cup already. Maybe it was just my imagination but it really looked that way. I think he will be fine in the 85* for now until he is better.