Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #1 
itslisa75

Buddy has a lump under his front fins

Buddy is my beautiful male betta who has just recovered from popeye, lethargia and not eating for almost two weeks. I medicated him with myracyn 2 (sp?). Water chemistry is good, frequent water changes, one a week, bought a heater so water temps sit at 76-80. He's in a one gallon tank right now and would love to switch him to the 2.5 gallon but need to get him stable first.

He's been eating, swimming, playing.

But I started noticing a white lump forming under his front fins and some twitching. Sort of like sporatic jerking. *sigh*
This guy has been through the mill and back and I am doing my best to get him healthy and happy.

So here is a pic and any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached Images

Last edited by itslisa75; 12-04-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: wanted to add the lump looks white but I was thinking that could be from the stretching.
itslisa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #2 
bettablue

To me it looks like he's bloated, how much do you feed him? If you added a teaspoon of epsom salt it would help his bloat and also fasting him for a couple days.
also how much water do you change per week? I think you should just switch him to a 2.5 gal even though he's a little under the weather because he'll have more clean water and space to swim in...
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #3 
itslisa75

I feed him three pellets a day. Usually do a 50% water change per week.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #4 
TaylorW

What size container is he in? Anything 2 gallons or less needs a 100% water change once every two days. I'd say he is sick from poor water quality.

If you have a 2.5 gallon tank, put him in there! That way you'd only have to change the water 100% once every two-three days, and it is easier to keep the temperature stable in a larger tank.

Last edited by TaylorW; 12-04-2010 at 01:25 PM.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #5 
itslisa75

okay I can move him but I just got back from the store and I could sware the lump has grown. Epsons salts? How much for a one gallon tank?
Old 12-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #6 
bettablue

Are you continuing to feed him? I would starve him for a couple days to see if the lump goes down. For the epsom salt I think it's one teaspoon per gal.
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #7 
FishyFriend1

OMG my fish has the exact thing right now!!!! he has had it for 2 days but none of the bloat symptoms!!!!! hes just acting normal!!!!! my guy still eats and everything!!!!!
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote