Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #1 
TRISHIESfishie

I have never been so sad leaving Walmart as I was last night..

OK, I am new to betta parenthood. I have had my betta King since Jan, but up until a few weeks ago, I was just taking care of a cool fish. Then he got sick and I realized how much I cared about him. Anyway now I know how lucky I am to have him and I will never say "just a fish" again. Anyway I went into Walmart just to get a filter pad, which of course they did not have. Then I looked at the bettas, I mean really looked. And my heart broke like it does when I have to go to the local humane society to renew my dogs' tags. They had like 15 betta "cells" stacked. I remembered reading how someon on this board unstacks them. So I started. Their water was no longer blue and all had various grossness. Some were dead and had been for awhile, some were almost dead. I felt so sad. Like at the pound I can't save them all. I felt like crying and I found myself wondering if bettas feel misery, I know they feel pain right as all living things feel some sort of pain. But true misery seeing people walk past and leaving them in that condition. I tried not to dwell, affording possibly more emotions to bettas than they really have. And then there was one, at the very back. He was the tiniest betta I had ever seen. He was a little bluish, redish, greenish and his face was either black or very dark blue. He was a crown tail. He was swimming and very much alive. I never wanted a crown tail, I love veil tails, but there he was like a tiny kitten on a cold and rainy night. I would have never chosen a crown tail, but one had been chosen for me. I decided then and there that even though I could not choose 1 sick one to try and save (how do you choose) that I would take home the tiny crown tail and keep him from ending with the same fate as the others. Luckily I had an extra tank at home, only 2 gal but he is so small it would be lost in anything bigger. So $65 later (fish and "stuff") I brought my new baby boy home. His tank is next to King's (my much larger vt) with about 3 inches between. They don't even seem to mind eachother. I put a folder between them at night when I can't watch them. I hope my little ct makes it. Right now he is very shy (which makes me nervous). But I will give him time. I haven't taken a pic yet because I don't want to stress him more. But I will post some soon.

Anyway just needed to share the emotions with people who would understand. I walked into a store searching for a filter pad and came out with a different perspective about fish.
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #2 
JKfish

I know. It's really draining seeing how horrible the conditions some bettas are kept in :(

Though, you're new boy sounds so pretty, pictures? Oh, and did you find heaters?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #3 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
I know. It's really draining seeing how horrible the conditions some bettas are kept in :(

Though, you're new boy sounds so pretty, pictures? Oh, and did you find heaters?
I don't want to freak him out getting him to post for pics. I will try tomorrow. Maybe I can sneak one today LOL. As for a heater they did not have any more small ones for 2-15 gals. So I took King's (2-15 gal) and had to buy King the bigger one (10-30 gal). His tank is only 3 gal but my living room is really cold (living room heater is broke, fish are pry warmer than we are LOL). I am watching the temp and making sure it's not too hot. So I guess the long story is yeah they have heaters LOL
Old 12-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #4 
bettablue

Good job and the rescue, you could try adding a tablespoon of salt to prevent any diseases he may have got from walmart.
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #5 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettablue View Post
Good job and the rescue, you could try adding a tablespoon of salt to prevent any diseases he may have got from walmart.
a tablespoon? not a teaspoon? he is only in a 2 gal tank
Old 12-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #6 
bettablue

OH, sorry I ment teaspoon... wow sorry about that
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #7 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettablue View Post
OH, sorry I ment teaspoon... wow sorry about that
epson salt or aq salt?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #8 
TRISHIESfishie

Yay he posed! I will be posting more pics of him in the pic section :D
this is my newbie!

edit: I can never get rid of water spots.....

Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #9 
FishyFriend1

AQ
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #10 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFriend1 View Post
AQ
ok I will get some tomorrow when i resume my hunt for the filter pad