Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #1 
Kitdae

Question Cycling?

Okay so I went to Petsmart today and my mom bought me a 5 gal tank for my lil guy. i just finished filling it with water and i turned the filter on. It has new gravel, a "betta hammock," and a silk plant. I was curious as to how long I should let the water be alone with no fish. I used bottled water and the paper says a few days or a week but I'm not sure if thats only with tap water...
Kitdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #2 
Panthera

I wouldn't use bottle water if I were you. Use regular tap water, with a dechlorinator, (Stress Coat). Tap Water has stuff inside it that the Betta's need, and with a good dechlorinator, all the harmful stuff like Chlorine will be gone. Also you asked about Cycling in the title of the thread, but do you know what the Nitrogen cycle is?

I would research it a bit, then buy an API testing kit and by some Ammonia, (a scentless brand that when shaken doesn't make bubbles). It'll take about 3 weeks, and you should keep your fish in another tank, or a Kritter Keeper. But its much better than doing a fish-in cycle, which can be dangerous to the Betta. Also do you have a heater? Didn't know if you mentioned that or not, but Betta's need one ;) 25 Watt should do.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #3 
Kitdae

Considering hes been living in a 1.5 gal for over a year now using bottled water I think hes used to it. I got him a bigger tank cause he seemed bored. I don't have a heater yet because he doesnt have one now and its a constant 75 in my house all winter, and my room is the warmest in the house.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #4 
KandiiPanda

Someone on this forum told me before that bettas do get used to water conditions outside the norm; so if he's used to bottled water, and hasn't had any problems, it might be fine to continue using that (though he might be prone to problems later on? Idk, I'm not betta expert)

But I do recommend getting a heater; even if it seems like the room around you is warm, the water probably isn't...as I've learned that the bigger the tank, the cooler the water is.
KandiiPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #5 
Kitdae

Yeah I'll get one when I have money ^^:
I checked the temp in the tank hes in now, its around 70. The new tank is just under that. I guess I'll let the new tank sit empty til i come back next weekend...