Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #1 
TaylorW

I love my tank without the gravel :)

So I live in a college dorm with one bathroom for 30-ish people. I hated messing with the gravel, it was so hard to get all the poo and food out of it! So I was like, "You know what? Forget this gravel!" And dumped it all in the trash!

Now it looks a lot nicer and it's a lot easier to clean! The little chunks of a torn up marimo ball give enough ground coverage to keep it from looking barren, but is a lot lower maintenance!

TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

Looks good!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #3 
TaylorW

Thanks, that gravel was such a pain in the butt! Could never get it clean and it always spilled out of the tank when I tried to rinse it >:(
Old 11-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

When I kept bare bottom tanks I would tape black construction paper to the underside...it would help with glare and give it dept....your tank looks nice.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
Thanks, that gravel was such a pain in the butt! Could never get it clean and it always spilled out of the tank when I tried to rinse it >:(
I got rid of my gravel pretty quickly because it was such a pain. I moved to river rocks. They are large enough that I wouldn't lose them down the sink but small enough where I wouldn't have to worry about a fishy getting stuck under one.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #6 
TaylorW

I love the black construction paper Oldfishlady! :) That would look lovely.... Just so sick of the tiny gravels!

Hmm, river rocks... If I see any I like, I might try that!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #7 
danifacetastic

Now that I have a gravel vacumn the gravel doesn't bother me but I hated it when I had the boys in 1 gallon tanks.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #8 
TaylorW

Lol, I wanted a vacuum, but I really don't have room for any extra fish stuff in my dorm :P I have a 3rd of my desk, part of a drawer, and a bag on the floor full of fish stuff for one fish XD

And I don't have my own bathroom... so siphoning would be a pain :/

So I just take the tank to the bathroom and sit it on a shelf, then scoop the water out with a plastic cup. You should see the looks people give me when I'm cleaning out the tank! :P Especially when they see the marimo chunks, they're always like "What the heck is that??"
Old 11-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #9 
danifacetastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
Lol, I wanted a vacuum, but I really don't have room for any extra fish stuff in my dorm :P I have a 3rd of my desk, part of a drawer, and a bag on the floor full of fish stuff for one fish XD

And I don't have my own bathroom... so siphoning would be a pain :/

So I just take the tank to the bathroom and sit it on a shelf, then scoop the water out with a plastic cup. You should see the looks people give me when I'm cleaning out the tank! :P Especially when they see the marimo chunks, they're always like "What the heck is that??"
I would kill myself if I had to share a bathroom with that many people. What size tank is that?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #10 
TaylorW

2.5 gallon... Big enough for Victor, small enough for me to be able to carry down the hall when it's full of water! :P