Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #11 
nomoretickets

Get the java fern. Plants can get the light they need from incandescent lights, it's just not optimal lights for plants. However java fern is pretty much indestructible so It will be fine as long as it gets some light. Just pay the extra money and go get an adjustable heater from petsmart or your local fish store
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #12 
fav74

Not sure if you have bought an aquarium yet or if you live near a Petco store but i was in the the store on Friday the 3rd and they have this guy on sale. I believe that it is the Deluxe Aquarium kit which includes a heater also. I am trying to figure out how to convince the better half that we need it.

http://petco.shoplocal.com/petco/def...own=1%3A569048

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...uarium-kit.htm#
fav74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #13 
serenarenee

I have the same heater... the tetra whisper 25 watt, and it keeps my 2.5 gallon at an even 79. I seldom see even a 1 degree fluctuation, despite the 10 degree temp swings at my house...
So it works for me. However, I don't know that it would work as well in a larger tank... and it WOULD be nice to be able to bump it up to 82 when I'm treating for illness (like now).
So if you can get one... adjustable heaters are definitely preferable.
serenarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #14 
jpicking1

Thank you guys for the great advice i have not bought anything yet. wanted to make sure before i did. i read the cycling the tank before getting a betta and i planed on doing that. way i see it how pretty btta fish are 1 gallon tank is just not big enough for them to streach those pretty fins out confortably and to hide in if they feel they need to . java ferns is actuly the plant i was looking at for the simple reason i think thye look realy good and i read they are very good in a betta tank i had a little concern about fake plants . tunnels and such tearing up there fins probaly would want smooth surface stuff? like not a jagged rock tunnel but a smooth porclian one? ill check out those packages at petco i have none not even a block from me.
jpicking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #15 
jpicking1

well i went to petco bought the 14 gallon one on sell there instead of the 5 gallon ...... mayby its to big was on sell for the whole kit for 35 bucks comes with a heater filter and such just need to buy the plants and such i decide to go with fake plants for now and see how we do and jsut 1 beta male if things go good ill add some of the stuff that can posably go with the beta fish in this size of a tank later. thanks fav74 for the tip on the tank i did not have a petco card nether so since i bought the card at 20 and that thye knocked 15 dollars off my purchase. i went with a asian theme i may add more stuff later kind of worried it may be over croweded or under i am not sure. i am cylcing my tank as per the sticky i am goign the fish food route since my tank came with free samples plus i realy do nto want the dead shrimp smell in my room ... or i would gone that way 4 more weeks into i can get a fish then. next task tomorrow is to fix the filter with the water bottle cut off so the over flow i s not so bad. here is some pics from my iphone of my tank not very good i know on the pics sorry.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #16 
jpicking1

hmmm photo did nto work trying this way
http://flic.kr/p/8YZRP4
http://flic.kr/p/8Z3VEj

Last edited by jpicking1; 12-06-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #17 
JKfish

Wow, pretty tank :D. in a tank that size, you have a lot of different options on what you could do with it.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #18 
jpicking1

thank you yes i was thinking some school fish if my betta i get is not to aggressive to them months down the road will depend on my beta perosnality. i was thinking mayby africa drawf frogs or mayby a certian kind of school fish thats compatable. mayby even a snail. but it will all depend ont he betta
Old 12-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #19 
JKfish

It's not quite big enough for most schooling fish, but a school of pygmy cories or just regular cories would be cool. :) AFDs would be good too if your betta is gentle, but you'd need more hiding spots than what's in your tank at them moment. :) You could also divide the tank and have another boy if you wanted to.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #20 
jpicking1

thanks for the info