Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #1 
KandiiPanda

Question Cleaning tank after...diseases?

I know that dropsy isn't a disease by itself, but rather a symptom of other problems, hence the awkward title.

Anyways, it's finally time for me to get a new betta n_n I plan on using the same tank, heater, and thermometer...but giving the rest of the tank a "makeover", so none of the gravel, plants, etc. will be in there again.

Is there any specific way you should clean a tank after dropsy? I know its contagious which is why I'm asking. I Google'd it and found everything from "with frequent water changes you should be fine" to disinfecting the tank as best as you can.
KandiiPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #2 
Welsh

If you want to be super cautious then you could disinfect the tank with a little bleach diluted with water or vinegar diluted with water. Just make sure you thoroughly rinse everything before you add the fish, if your not sure its safe then rinse thoroughly again
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #3 
KandiiPanda

Ahh okay thank you c=
I'm not really on the super-obsessive side, but I always like to know what I'm doing before I'm doing it, haha
KandiiPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #4 
Malvolti

Other ways to clean a tank are:

A) To fill it with regular tap water and let it sit, the chlorine will disinfect the tank. Then you can just add dechlorinator and let it sit for a little longer.

B) Add a little salt to the tap water to be doubly clean.

Wlesh's suggestions are just as good. I'm just always nervous when using bleach to clean anything, leyt alonmy tank. But as long as you make sure it is rinsed well (so you don't have any residual smell) it will be fine.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, dropsy, new fish