Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #1 
Colibri

Gender dilemma!

Hello everybody!

So, I've got a tiny problem with one little "female" I bought on Friday. I'm setting up a female sorority tank (10 gallon) and I have 4 females right now. I just brought home two on Friday and have them in a 2.5 gal divided quarantine tank. I woke up this morning to find that the smallest of them built a bubble nest! It's not just some bubbles like the ones my Gamisha (my first female) does now and then if she's bored. It a REAL bubble nest! And "she" keeps flaring on the other female. The fish is really small, like 2.5 or 3cm. Is there a chance that "she" is actually a "he"?! I really need to find out what she is because I need 4 females on the sorority... and I don't want any trouble between the 3 I know I have. Please help!

Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #2 
JKfish

the pictures are blurry, but that is definately a real bubble nest. Look at him/her when he/she flares, does he/she have a male beard? Are his/her ventral fins long and thick? if so, chances are he/she is a male. If he's lacking an ovidepositor, he is most deinately male, though some males have them too.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #3 
baylee767

Can you get any sideshots of her? Males tend to have larger pelvic fins, and even plakats have bigger tails than a female. You can't really tell for sure unless we can see a side view, though. IDK if royal blue is a common coloring in females.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

At that size it may be months before you find out the gender....good practice for when you decide to spawn!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #5 
Colibri

I've seen her flare and she does appear to have some kind of beard... but, all my other females have this kind of beard also. Do males show stress stripes? When I brought them home she was really very stressed and had the stripes on her body. The ventrals are long but not very thick. One of my other girls also has very long ventrals but they're not thick either. Waa!
Old 12-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #6 
Alex09

I had a king betta (male) who had stress stripes. So plakats definitely do. Not sure about long finned bettas though.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #7 
baylee767

Yes, I know from personal expirience that males can get stress stripes. One of my males, Velvet, gets stress stripes during water changes. My other male, Neon, I think he might but it blends into his coloration. So yes, males get stress stripes.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #8 
JKfish

hmmm, I'm convinced he is a guy. only guys are able to build legit bubble nests. Girls don't have whatever guys do in their saliva that helps them make big bubble nests that stick together like that.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #9 
Colibri

So, here are some pictures I took from my females with my camera. The blue one has been with me for months, she seems to have a little ovodepositor but it's not very distinguishable. She gets her stress stripes whenever I change the water or she sees a male. She's a big female, though. I've compared her size to Tina's (she my SD/HM female) and she is certainly bigger.

Gamisha

The new ones (the dark one is the one I'm doubting the gender)

The bubble nest

Last edited by Colibri; 12-05-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

Male.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dilemma, female, gender, male