Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #21 
crowntail lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavist93 View Post
I am honestly shocked at the hostility and childishness from the posts in this thread. They are KIDS and obviously don't know any better. It's not in any way their fault. This is no way to speak of children.

In all likelyhood the poor conditions are what killed it. I'm sure they endure much more shaking on their journey to Walmart.
I hope you dont mind me asking...But how would you feel if two kids who obviously didnt know any better started to shake one of your bettas and decided.. "hey this is fun...lets see if it bleeds..maybe we can pop its eye out.." how would you handle that situation..?
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #22 
chavist93

JK, I understand what you are saying. However your siblings were obviously raised properly and taught at a very young age how to treat an animal. We cannot assume at all have proper parenting, if any.
chavist93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #23 
chavist93

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntail lover View Post
I hope you dont mind me asking...But how would you feel if two kids who obviously didnt know any better started to shake one of your bettas and decided.. "hey this is fun...lets see if it bleeds..maybe we can pop its eye out.." how would you handle that situation..?
I don't mind at all. In reality there is not much I could do other than ask them to stop and teach them the proper way to handle the fish.
chavist93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #24 
crowntail lover

It still is not right for and child of any age to treat any type of animal that way.. No matter how they were raised.. They do have common sense...and common sense doesnt tell use to shake a cup with a live animal in it..
Old 12-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #25 
JKfish

Chavist: True, but most kids, even those without proper parenting have some forms of empathy or morals, or something that tells them, hey this isn't right. I know there are kids like that out there that should know better but don't seem to, but for the most part, even kids without good parenting know better.

Last edited by JKfish; 12-05-2010 at 10:22 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #26 
Alex09

Yes, those kids acted immaturely and should have known better. I would have had a talk with them and possibly even their parents. Why didn't YOU? YOU witnessed the situation. You COULD have done something about it. So lets not act the victim and toss the blame to someone else.

And, Lets not blow it out of proportion. A fish can die a much more gruesome death at the hands of a predator. In the end a life is a life. What's the difference between the life of a betta and the salmon you carve up on your plate during dinner?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #27 
crowntail lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Yes, those kids acted immaturely and should have known better. I would have had a talk with them and possibly even their parents. Why didn't YOU? YOU witnessed the situation. You COULD have done something about it. So lets not act the victim and toss the blame to someone else.

And, Lets not blow it out of proportion. A fish can die a much more gruesome death at the hands of a predator. In the end a life is a life. What's the difference between the life of a betta and the salmon you carve up on your plate during dinner?
I dont like Salmon.. lol. I understand what you are saying.. But sometimes you cant just go up to kid and tell them to stop with there parents right there.. I personally would have.. But thats just me..
Old 12-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #28 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post

Because mommy and daddy could have said that I "assaulted" them if I took the cup away. They could start a fight with me. I'm a very, very small person. 5'3'' woman vs. two parents that are maybe half a foot taller than I am didn't seem very smart. And I'm not the child's parents. And I'm not acting like a victim. The real victim is the fish.

The difference between a betta fish and a salmon is the fact that a Betta is regularly sold as a pet. Something we can empathize with. Something we can pour love and affection into. We really can't do that with a live salmon because they're wild and undomesticated.

I'm also not saying anything about predators in this post. I understand, for example, that a cat can eat a betta fish. However, the situation was two children that shook a betta and killed it. In fact, the children were technically the predator in this situation. Just because they didn't eat it or eviscerate it doesn't mean that it wasn't cruel or their fault.

EDIT: In a predator prey situation, the prey has a chance to flee and protect itself. This fish was in a cup without a place to hide. That's unfair.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #29 
eclover09

In this day in age, you really DO have to be careful about what you do to children with parents around. Even though I would have said something and took the cup away, if the parents would have jumped in angrily, I would have backed off regardless how bad I feel about the fish.

Once in a pet store, they have a open pen with bunnies in it, and this child kept yanking on the rabbits ears and laughing cruelly about it, enough that the rabbit would squeal and as a person who has owned several rabbits, takes a lot to make a rabbit make such a sound. The parents were there and I intervened and told the child, of course nicely, that that wasn't very nice to the poor bunny and tried to gently remove his hand from yanking at the rabbits ears as it squirmed. The parents threw a HUGE fit, and complained to the manager that I "slapped" there child's hands away and yelled at him. Luckily a store employee was watching and vouched for me, but the fact of the matter is, you seriously have to be careful about intervening. Parents these day can be absolutely awful, worse then the children.

And as a vegetarian, even I know the difference between the life of a salmon and the life of a Betta. Totally different.

And children or not children, people who truly have morals, raised or not raised to have them, just don't do things like that. My neice is FOUR with ADHD, my sister has certainly never told her to be kind to animals and this is a child who brutalizes her toys, and yet when she was here for christmas last year and I was changing my fishes water, she got mad when I was taking him upstairs in his little cup because she said I was shaking him too much and thought I would make him sicky. So I think if a four year old knows to be nice to a fish, a twelve year old certainly should know better whether there parents taught them to be nice to animals or not.
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #30 
TaylorW

You really have to watch what you say around children anymore; I used to teach dance classes to three and four year olds. If you even say something sternly to a child or even grab the child's wrist to stop them from running and screaming around the room, the parents will be on you like a pack of wolves...

I don't blame Tsuhei, it can be very difficult to stand up to two parents, you wouldn't believe the dirty looks and complaints I have got from parents for bringing their child out of the classroom to them because they were misbehaving. Just suggesting to parents that they should punish their own child is enough to get you in trouble anymore.

The children were 12, they are definitely at past the age of accountability. These kids are probably 7th graders, WAY old enough to know the difference between right and wrong.

It's just sickening to me when people do stuff like that... it's so hard to make a fish bleed, they must have literally slammed him against the walls of that cup :( :(

Last edited by TaylorW; 12-05-2010 at 11:44 PM.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote